Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone is getting any Chrome north of Lorain to Avon? Heading out this weekend to target them. Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'll be out tomorrow off avon looking for them will let you know we do

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I am hoping to head up to Avon Sunday with Dad and a friend of the family. Haven't done hardly any fishing this year so any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I will report back how we did should be launching mid morning and staying out most the day

·
Registered
174 Posts
Finally did first steelhead trip today off Lorain. Was too bumpy for my 19-ft. boat when we first went out. Tried for walleye around the dump with spoons and got a couple. Wind started dying around 9:30, so we pounded out to 42-11. Friend and I fished for less than two hours (10:10 to noon) and got two steelhead and 8 walleye before it was time to get back. Small dipsy on 0 with pink/black/green alewife spoon back 90 off planer board got one and regular dipsy on 3 back 90 with a green Peetz spoon got the other. The second one was a beauty - 27 inches. Best walleye spoon was a blue-green dolphin on a dipsy, 3 setting out 100. No steelhead on downriggers, which was surprising. Not great marks, but some bait balls scattered around. If we ever get a calm day, I'll be back out there next week.

·
Boat name: Reelin n Dealin
675 Posts
We fished the 17N 48W off Ashtabula today right out on the boarder. If you want steelies that’s your Mecca right now. Lots of chrome out there, not too many eyes though.
Some big schools of smelt out there and the steelies were full of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
We fished the 17N 48W off Ashtabula today right out on the boarder. If you want steelies that’s your Mecca right now. Lots of chrome out there, not too many eyes though.

Thanks for the reports everyone.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts

That’s what you call a double lunch trip,one on the way out and one on the way in . lol Beautiful out there isn’t it….

·
Registered
708 Posts
We fished north of sheffield yesterday but no chrome to show for it. Didnt quite get as far out as I wanted my son was content with the walleye. Using the fish hawk tho from the surface down to 40 ft was all within a few degrees

·
Registered
707 Posts
Finally did first steelhead trip today off Lorain. Was too bumpy for my 19-ft. boat when we first went out. Tried for walleye around the dump with spoons and got a couple. Wind started dying around 9:30, so we pounded out to 42-11. Friend and I fished for less than two hours (10:10 to noon) and got two steelhead and 8 walleye before it was time to get back. Small dipsy on 0 with pink/black/green alewife spoon back 90 off planer board got one and regular dipsy on 3 back 90 with a green Peetz spoon got the other. The second one was a beauty - 27 inches. Best walleye spoon was a blue-green dolphin on a dipsy, 3 setting out 100. No steelhead on downriggers, which was surprising. Not great marks, but some bait balls scattered around. If we ever get a calm day, I'll be back out there next week.
Was out of Lorain yesterday walleye fishing. Limited at 11. Wasn't ready to go in so I talked my buddy into running out to the 42-11 that you posted. We've never caught a steelhead or targeted them for that matter. I stopped a mile south because I marked what I thought were bait balls, and had fish down around the 40ft line below the bait.
Was getting the 3rd line in the water when the 2nd went off with a very feisty 25" Steelie. We caught 5 of 7 in 2 hours, and threw back at least one limit of walleye while we were there. It was a blast, and a great memory! Would love to have stayed longer but had to get home for a birthday party.
Orange spoons were the ticket. Tt40s 130 back and dipsies on a 3 setting 90 back. Speed was 2.6-2.8. THANK YOU for posting the report. Was a great way to cap off a great day of walleye fishing.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Was out of Lorain yesterday walleye fishing. Limited at 11. Wasn't ready to go in so I talked my buddy into running out to the 42-11 that you posted. We've never caught a steelhead or targeted them for that matter. I stopped a mile south because I marked what I thought were bait balls, and had fish down around the 40ft line below the bait.
Was getting the 3rd line in the water when the 2nd went off with a very feisty 25" Steelie. We caught 5 of 7 in 2 hours, and threw back at least one limit of walleye while we were there. It was a blast, and a great memory! Would love to have stayed longer but had to get home for a birthday party.
Orange spoons were the ticket. Tt40s 130 back and dipsies on a 3 setting 90 back. Speed was 2.6-2.8. THANK YOU for posting the report. Was a great way to cap off a great day of walleye fishing.
Glad you had fun. Maybe the next time we go out we won't be only boat out there. I learned from a charter captain a long time ago that the bait balls were key to finding steelhead.

·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well we went yesterday dispute the sporty conditions on the lake. It was pretty rough out there. We set up on the 38/11 line and trolled with them out to the 41/9. We made 3 passes. We got all of our walleye, sorted very little and went 3 for 6 on the steelhead. Rand dip sets between 75 and 100 back and riggers down 35 and 40. Jaeger bomb and double orang crush were our best colors for the steel. Walleye were hitting all colors.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Was supposed to go today but that didn't happen. Gonna try for tuesday evening. Thanks for the reports and I will try and report how we do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts