Anyone fishing the Maumee river???

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by fishingfoolBG, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Wondering if anyone has had any luck the past few days with the warmer weather. I was thinking about heading out tonight or bright and early tomorrow morning. Looking for the fat samllies, if anyone wants to join shoot be a PM. FFBG

2. you mind sharing what you use to catch the smallies?

3. Last year I went about this time, and had really rough luck. I had a good year on the river during the summer, but not into the late fall. There were so many freaking gizzard shad that I was actually snagging some with my inline spinner. I snagged four or five 3" fish in one trip. Have you been down there recently? Success?

I've been fishing a pond for largemouth the last few weeks and have been absolutely killing some big fish. That's been tiding me over recently.

4. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

I know other local rivers are really SSSSSLLLLLOOOOWWWW the water temps are cooler than you think and the fish are lathargic.

5. Not too long ago, I was destroying the White Bass at Grand Rapids Dam.

6. You can catch white bass all summer long at the dam. When you get in a school of them it can be a blast on light gear. Last year at this time i was fishing the dam after we got a good rain and lost a steelhead right at my feet. I would assume the river is still pretty low and clear. I would think the SM are still putting on there feed bag with the warmer weather we have had. It has been a slow fall for me fishing the river. Hopefully ill get into some smallies tonight, Ill post with the results. FFBG

7. The River went up a good foot or two at the 475 Bridge. Not sure about the clarity, but you've gotta assume the last rain muddied it up a bit. If you're going to go, go in the afternoon. You wouldn't believe how much the temp will rise on a day like today. The waters freezing in the morning.

8. Well i went out tonight and fished around BW without a single bite but did manage to see a nice 6 point buck walk by. So, I still had about a hour left or so and decided to move upstream and fish around waterville and also got skunked there. When I was getting ready to leave I looked over and noticed a fish laying on a rock. I walked up closer and it is a 20'' walleye still flopping around. I grabed him and snapped a quik picture and measurement and let him swim away. It was odd seeing him just laying on the rock still alive. I didnt see anyone else fishing near me, wonder how he got there. Anyways it was still a beautifull day on the river and enjoyed the nice weather. here is the pic of the walleye. FFBG

Attached Files:

9. Wow, that's bizarre... Maybe he was getting a suntan and you messed it all up for him.

10. You should of just ate him. He's probably Brain-Dead from floppin around for a while on the rocks.
    We used to catch alot of walleyes at Grand Rapids in the fall. They made a kind of false run up there and stopped at the dam. Theres a ledge on the Mary-Jane side they hold on that runs with the current. We also used to catch Saugers up there, but thats been awhile ago,like years.

11. Hey FFBG - Is that Line in the picture that new Cajun line? How do you like it? I just tried Gamma on my Pier Rod, and I really like the way it feels and cast. Handles well at night. I've always been a Trilene X-T guy, still am for the river

12. Yeah i was thinking about eating him but i thought it wasnt fair because i didnt catch him and plus I still have some left over from last years run. Yeah i have also caught some walleye this year at the dam using 2'' white twister tails. So far i havent had any problems with the cajun red. I have only been using for a summer or so. I am using 6# test and havent lost anything yet. Hopefully ill make it out one more time before it gets to cold and everything shuts down. Tight Lines FFBG