close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone fished in costa rica?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by mojo, Mar 2, 2005.

1. I'm going to costa rica in may for a class but i'm planning on staying over a few days to get some tropical fishing in. I'm not sure if i want to spend the big bucks and go after marlin or tuna or stay inland and try for all the aquarium type fish or try tarpon or snook. Anyone been there and have advice or places they would recommend?

2. I am considering a Costa Rica trip next month and would appreciate any fishing advice...I am primarily interested in fishing the Carribean. Thanks in advance.

3. brummy

brummy senior member

I havent fished there yet but a buddy owns some land over there and we r going over next summer to start building plan on fishing then I hear it is some great sail fishing. GL to you guys and have fun

4. la2ohio

la2ohio L.A.2Ohio

Call up any of the fishing lodges and ask what the daily bite is coming off of in the shallows. Or, you can also get into some great roosterfish fishing the surf. They fight hard and can average as big as 50lbs down there, some get bigger in Mexico. You are also capable of pulling into some snook and tarpon. Overall, if you have the chance and don't want to spend a lot of money...just hook up with a decent surf rod and get some casting jigs..such as big crocodile spoons or tady prism spoons/jigs. Watch as the surf breaks and you will see these roosterfish surf down the curl chasing sardines or any old baitfish...my suggestion is get out in the early morning and be sure to check the tidetables. You want to be there during high tide. Also, make sure you have some spro bucktail jigs with trailers/twistertails--Red/white or green/yellow/white and blue/green/white...get the bigger 1 oz. jigs and some 3/4 oz for the snook. 20-25 lb. test line for snook with a flourocarbon leader of 8-14lb test. And 30-40lb test line for the surf, you can try a flourocarbon leader with that too. Sometimes the roosterfish can be spooky, but overall, they are very aggressive in the surf. Do a search on the web and you should be able to find some tackle at a cheap price in Costa Rica, maybe even a charter on a panga for a $175-250 for about 6 hours of great fishing.

Good luck and catch a lot, take pics too.

Will (la2ohio):B