Anyone fish Mad river?

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Madfisher, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Hi....New man aboard. Haven't done much fishing this year due to work but have a chance to go this Saturday. Just wanted to see if anyone has been to the Mad river around Springfield. I'm not much of a fly fisher and usually use live bait. Thanks for ANY info and hope to get to know a few of you. Thanks......Dan

2. Red The Fisherman

Red The Fisherman River Rambler

If you are fishing for trout w/ spinning gear. Try a rooster tail.

3. You could try drifting various live baits under a bobber or dragged across the bottom. Inline spinners and small cranks would work as well.

4. fisherman5567

fisherman5567 Fishin Everyday

I have had great success just floating a nightcrawler through small rapids for trout. There are a lot of rock bass, spotted bass, suckers, carp, etc that can make for some good ultra lightin. I just use crawlers for those also. There are some areas that hold some large lmb, try near the old electric company where buckcreek hits the mad. also further up in buckcreek are some good walleye adn smb.

5. Thanks for all the help guys. I think I'll start with just the nightcrawler dirfting. fisherman5567...I have fished north of Springfield but never south as I had heard it was to deep to wade. Am I wrong on this? Well wish me luck and I hope to be posting a pic of a nice big brown. Thaks again all.....Dan

6. fisherman5567

fisherman5567 Fishin Everyday

The river is too deep in many spost south of sprfld. you would definately need a tube or canoe. Sure is some good fishin though. although, you can wade buckcreek in most areas (if you dont mind a dirty river)

7. Well made it out this morning and my honey hole turned out to be a chub hole LOL. My buddy did manage to get two brownies that were both around 12". What a great day though :) Gonna try next week and hope we don't get alot of leaves in the river......Dan