close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone ever used these flavors?

Discussion in 'Carp Discussions' started by atrkyhntr, May 20, 2005.

1. Now some of my flavors are top secret LMAO :p some are not...
    I would like an opinion or two on some I have not tried yet like:
    Lemon
    Orange
    Peppermint

How about spices or herbs? Anyone try those yet?
    I have been thinking about trying some but in what form I have no idea LOL

2. I have used those flavors to cook fish for a long time. I also grow herbs to cook with mint, parsley, basil, rosemary,thyme, etc... Just kidding!!!

3. From everything I've read, the citrus flavors such as lemon and orange aren't very productive (at least the natural extracts of these fruits). I've tried orange a limited number of times with no luck. Can't comment on peppermint...no idea there. As far as spices go...garlic, paprika, cayenne, and black pepper I've heard are good. No idea about any of the others. I've tried the cayenne and black pepper a handful of times with no obvious increase in catch rates.

Forgot about cinnamon...that's a good one too :D .

4. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

From everything I've read, the acidity in baits will turn the fish off in hotter waters....but in cold water fishing, high acidity baits score well. Never really tried them because of those studies....so they may be a good choice.

5. Also look at some of the essential oils and extracts of certain spices and other plants. I've always heard clove oil is suppposed to be good, and most people are familiar with the attractive qualities of anise extract. When I want to go spicy, I use a mixture of the clove oils, cayenne, black pepper, and a few other spices mixed in.

6. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Does anise attract them ??

7. I've heard two different opinions regarding anise...one is that it is an attractant and has a positive effect on your bait. The other is that anise does nothing more than "mask" some of the foreign odors that get on your baits (just scents from your hands or any other scents that might otherwise turn the fish off). Whatever the case, a lot of people swear by it as a bait additive.

8. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Thanks, I had someone swear by it once, not for carp, but as an attractant.

9. THANKS for the replies.. it helps
    I have used anise on soft baits for bass fishing
    and done well not great but well enough...