Ohio Game Fishing banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts
Just watch the weather. A friend of mine got caught too far out last year. Weather caught him, capsized him and he had to be rescued. Spent a day or so in the hosp. But he enjoys it so much he will continue going out. But just a little bit more wary of Ma Nature now.
Was that guy out off of Huron ? If so I waved to the coast guard boat with the kayak on it when they passed me in my kayak .HE NEEDED A RUDDER !

Yellow could wash out on a bright sunny day quite easily. Trust me, bigger and brighter is better. I was a first mate on my uncle's 30' Sportcraft and we usually had 2 sets of eyes looking and sometimes didn't see a log until we were right on top of it. If I was going out there, I'd want something no less than this:

Discussion starter · #24 ·
jay bird i hear you on handling saltwater fish! despite hooking up once for a few seconds with a mid 30" specimen (8lb line and beetle spin intended for smallmouth in a west virginia river), ive never landed a muskie, but having handled 4+ foot barracuda as well (not from kayak) yep id rather take my chances with the muskie. ive been called crazy numerous times for the various adventures ive taken on and safely completed by kayak, but as you mentioned am just out enjoying the water like everyone else and would not do things such as get towed around by blacktip sharks and or paddle up river 2 miles towards a dam, fish near said dam, and paddle 2 miles back without knowing what i can handle first. yes a normal boat would be much easier, but perhaps doing things the hard way is one of many things makes kayak fishing so much fun.

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Kayaks also have the silent and enviro friendly advantage, many time I have out fished motor craft with my paddle craft in the ocean and freshwater,
couldnt tell you how many big schools of saltwater baitfish ive worked right beside in the salt without spooking them...only to have a full sized boat come to the same school and spook off everything.

It looks like you're paddling a sit-inside kyak. Is that right?
If that's the case I think leaving a protected bay would be a huge mistake. Off shore any distance and one good wave/wake could swamp you with no way to bail water or re-enter the yak...
I think the above advice is good, IF you start with a sit-on-top, self bailing kayak.

Discussion starter · #28 · (Edited)
i have both a sit on and sit in. for lake erie paddling that far out i would take the sit on/self bailing. i honestly like fishing from the sit in better, but no matter how many times i try (paddling out shark baits from shore to 100-300+ yards out) the sit in just doesnt make a good submarine and dragging it back to shore when the surface to dive ratio isnt 100% isnt very easy.

Ufaquaoiler, based on everything you've posted in this thread, you should be able to handle Erie in your SOT yak in 2' or less easy enough. Though kayaking Erie in the PROPER VESSEL, in the RIGHT CONDITIONS, can be safe and enjoyable, there are definitely some real risks to consider. Hazardous weather and lake conditions can impose real dangers, and motor boats can as well. To yak on any big water you need to take the proper precautions in knowing your kayak's and your own limitations, make yourself highly visible and have all required safety gear, be aware of incoming weather, and keep your head on a swivel scanning for any hazards.

Be aware that Lake Erie is a large but fairly shallow body of water and thus can get very rough, very fast. Erie waves can be much choppier than more spaced out swells on the Atlantic. Be aware that the Erie chop can be much harder for a kayak to navigate than smoother rolling swells of the same height on the ocean.

In my experience, the greatest hazard I've experienced is motor boats. Some boats just don't pay enough attention to where they're going and others will have no regard for your space or the wake they throw at small vessels. Make yourself as visible as possible with a raised visibility flag and lights in low light conditions, and keep your head on a swivel. The area you mentioned fishing is a super high boat traffic area, also there's likely a higher percentage of drunken boaters coming back from the islands. The Jet Express ferry runs through there, and that's one boat I've seen who's wake I would be worried of being caught in, (huge ferry boat running 40+ mph throwing very large wake). I'd steer clear of the Jet Express and main boating routes to and from the islands.

Again, know your limitations, take all proper safety precautions, be constantly aware of your surroundings and incoming weather, and you can have an awesome time fishing in your kayak.

I'd plan to fish with a gentle onshore wind. You don't want to get caught trying to paddle into the wind after a long day on the lake. If a south wind picks up, it'll be a long float to Canada. Lol

I have left from Kelley's Island and fished Gull Island Shoal and Kelley's Island Shoal, neither with much success.

I do want to target the walleye in the spring west of Catawba, but don't think I have the right kayak or gear for that yet.

I have kayaked in LE a few times fishing, but I always stay close to shore. Say within 300 yards. I feel I'm safer in this zone on West side of Catawba as well as off Rocky River. I'm familiar with all of this water as a boater as well. Even when you are this close, I have seen larger boats, speed by kayaks, and turn them over on multiple occasions. Some people really don't see you, some don't care either way. You have to protect yourself and be as visible as you can be.

If you are really going to mix with 100 boats some days, in May or early June, West side of Catawba. Take a couple other boats with you. You cannot count on the bigger boats to look out for you. I'm sorry to say this, but that has been my observation. I may see you out there and be able and willing to help you, but you may encounter a knuckle head or a dozen boats filled with them. Going to be many more inexperienced boaters out there this year. Be even more careful around dusk and dawn.

When I am cruising at 30mph on Erie, even some of the jetskis (black hull) are barely visible around dusk. I wouldn't see them if it wasn't for the spray or wake they throw off. It really doesn't matter how bright colored, or shiny your boat or life jacket may be, when the light is low, it is hard to see you without lights on your boat.

I have a small headlamp type of light I have on a cap that I wore in an inland lake in MI a few years ago. I was in a canoe 50 yds offshore at dusk. I saw a boat approaching and heard them say "oh look there is a little paddler out there" as they turned off me and their course. At least I knew they could see me.

Be safe out there.
Rickerd

being active military stationed outside of ohio i havent gotten to fish back home nearly as much as ive wanted to, but with 7 years of being in south carolina and georgia/florida ive gotten plenty of time in from the kayak, especially since neither of those states require kayaks to be registered, titled, and what have you. when i say lake erie i do mean open lake for walleye, perch, and baa fish, not just a weedy harbor for bass. my thought process would be launch from near millers ferry, head towards south bass island, and troll a crawler harness behind me until i hook something, then cast/drift and see what happens. mostly just aiming to have fun trying it, but putting something in the cooler would be nice too. im 100% aware it will be a bit of a paddle and would definitely try it on a calm day and during the week when there arent as many boaters. ive had good luck launching from the beach in north florida for sea trout, spanish mackerel, bull reds, sharks, ... and dont see why lake erie wouldnt be just as enjoyable. thanks in advance and hope to give it a crack this summer or sometime in the future.
I've been playing with the idea of taking my old town out on lake Erie and trolling for walleyes also. However I personally wouldn't even consider taking a kayak out in the area your talking about. The boat traffic in that area is ridiculous in the summer months. Honestly a great place to consider would be the Metzger marsh/ crane creek area in June and July. There's schools of walleyes that come right in as shallow as 12 to 15' of water every summer. I fish this area extensively every summer and to be honest with you the fishing can be phenomenal. This is the area that I'm considering taking my kayak to simply because there's lots of fish there and, especially during the week, the boat traffic can be minimal. I believe you could launch right off the beach at McGee marsh also.

I wanted to clarify that the picture I posted was mostly about the flag as it looked fairly visible. I now see the kayak is a sik and I wouldn't take that out on Erie. However, with a highly, and I mean highly visible flag mounted on a high pole on a SOT, I'd do it, but my head would be on a swivel. Also, I'd avoid high traffic areas like Catawba and Bay Point. Near shore and always with at least one other person would be another good precaution.

I've been playing with the idea of taking my old town out on lake Erie and trolling for walleyes also. However I personally wouldn't even consider taking a kayak out in the area your talking about. The boat traffic in that area is ridiculous in the summer months. Honestly a great place to consider would be the Metzger marsh/ crane creek area in June and July. There's schools of walleyes that come right in as shallow as 12 to 15' of water every summer. I fish this area extensively every summer and to be honest with you the fishing can be phenomenal. This is the area that I'm considering taking my kayak to simply because there's lots of fish there and, especially during the week, the boat traffic can be minimal. I believe you could launch right off the beach at McGee marsh also.
Erieeye if you don’t mind me asking , what works for trolling that shallow in that area? Thanx

Erieeye if you don’t mind me asking , what works for trolling that shallow in that area? Thanx
It can vary from one year to the next. Jointed shad raps, reefrunner deep little rippers and ripshads and hot n tots tend to be my go to baits. As for colors, purples tend to produce best but a color called helmet has produced well also at times.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.