close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone ever fish Lake Mohawk?

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by paintED, Jul 13, 2007.

1. I have just gained access to a place on lake mohawk. I googled it up and the realitor propaganda boasts that the lake has eyes in it. Any body out there ever had success on said lake?

2. jonk540

jonk540 jonk540

I spent the first 30 years of my life fishing there.
    There used to be a small population of Walleye.
    We caught Gills, Sunfish, Perch. LM Bass, Cats, Crappie, and Northerns back in the day.
    It used to be that I was the only one on the lake during the weekdays. It was a blue collar place back then. Now the yuppies and jetskiers rule the place from what I hear. Lots and lots of boats all the time.
    I really do miss the place though. It was a great place in the 70's and 80's.
    Good luck and if you ever need to know my old secret spots I'll do my best to try to explain them.
    Jon

3. I personally have not fished it since last year, but I know a few guys who do on a regular basis. Great fishing for largemouth, gills, crappie and perch. mornings and evenings just like anywhere are the best, and ice fishing is good too. Good luck!:D

4. jonk540

jonk540 jonk540

If you ever need a "guide"..................LOL

5. the best time for this lake is early spring and in the fall for the bass! but to really get the eyes outta there you'll have to ice fish there are also some decent perch in here as well! this lake has a decent smallmouth population there are some hefty fish in here.

6. The lake is also loaded with Pike. Big ones too...!! I heard recently though that its getting tough to fish as the weeds are way out of control...There's also some big cats in there...

Also, during the day on weekends, don't even go out...As said in another post the lake is pretty much ruled by jet skiers and water skiers...I've heard though that weekday evenings the place is as quiet as can be, but I've not been out there yet this year...

Another buddy of mine was there about 3 weeks ago and they came home with some nice walleye...

Good luck!!

7. DanAdelman

DanAdelman getting jigging with it

definately loaded with pike... I went out a few times on a canoe... caught a few pike and bass all big fish though...

8. Wow, that brings out the nostalgia. I grew up at L Mohawk at about the same time, 1974-1994. Fished all over as a kid, mostly on the east side wherever we could access water (docking areas, etc.) or from canoes. I can sympathize about the yuppies, but, there are still a majority of working class folks at the lake, IMO. When fishing, you see alot of new waterfront trophy homes of the rich and shameless, but, take a drive around the lake off the water and it is apparent that it is still pretty much a middle class place.
    Anyway, I've still got family and friends living there, so, I fish it at least once a year. Same spots still produce. A lot more boaters on the weekdays than I remember growing up, even in the mornings. I pumped gas at the marina for two summers, and some days had no customers during my 6-hour shifts. At night, however, I think the fishing shines, and at times you can be the only boat on the lake.

BTW, my last name is Burkhart, don't know if that rings a bell.

9. i fished there 5 or 6 years ago with a teacher who had access and we got around 150 bass and over 120 crappie,gills,and perch.i also got a big blue cat and we lost a few pike.we also got a surprise that day with a 6 or 7 lb. walleye on a finesse worm.the place is loaded with pike and bass