anyone else want to get their 6-pak (oupv)??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gju42486, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Gju42486

Gju42486 Banned

hey guys, it looks like ill be headed down to sandusky next febuary to get my 6 pak captains license The class start febuary 15th and runs 8 days, the first 7 is the course with all the material you need to know, and the last day is the test. There is an 80% percent passing grade from these instructors, and the class runs $799. If anyone else is interested, let me know, i think it would be cool to have some fellow OGF'rs at the class as well.

2. harle96

harle96 Draggin Meat

What is cosidered a 6 pack license? Are there any requirements prior to taking this course?

3. Gju42486

Gju42486 Banned

harle, a 6 pak enables you to take 6 paying customers on your boat, they guys giving the course has a website, www.wegivethetest.com all the info is there.

4. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

im really interested in this. ive looked into it and was told you MUST have 360(or something close to that) docuemented days(a day is at least 4 hrs) on the water. and 90 % of those must be on the body of water you plan on fishing. if this is wrong info feel free to correct me please. i wanted to take it just for the knowledge but figured why waste the money if i need more docuemented time. this is why ive started a fishing log 2 years ago when i first looked into it.

5. Gju42486

Gju42486 Banned

EZ- ill give these guys a call when i get to work and post any info here when i find out

6. harle96

harle96 Draggin Meat

· SEA-SERVICE - The Great Lakes, Inland and Near Coastal OUPV licenses all require a minimum of 360 days of sea service on motor or sailing vessels (sailing vessels must have auxiliary power to qualify). In order to get the “Near Coastal” license, at least 90 days of the required 360 days of sea service must be on offshore waters (outside an inlet in the ocean or Gulf of Mexico). For this license, sea service can be counted back to your 15th birthday. For this license, a day of sea service is defined as at least 4 hours underway on any given calendar day. Sea service is recorded on the USCG Small Boat Sea Service forms by indicating how many days per year the applicant spent underway on each vessel. Sea service days are recorded in summary through the twelve calendar months of each year (you do not have to know the exact dates - just the number of days each year).

You are correct. That info is in the link a few posts back. Log books or dates are not required, but sure wouldn't hurt. I don't see why this formula wouldn't work.

This year for me = 250 boat hours/4 = 62 days x 3 years = 186 days

I am half way there:D

7. Gju42486

Gju42486 Banned

just got off the phone with the instructors. They stated that there is no actual documentation or paperwork needed to "prove" your hours, you sign a paper saying that you have "x" number of hours to the best of your knowledge. Although they recommend having 360 days under belt, the instructors are aware that most recreational boaters taking the test, had the 360 days "to the best of their knowledge". Also, these hours/days date back to your 15th birthday

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  8. hearttxp

hearttxp Lake Erie Charter Captain

I just got my License in the mail Last Wensday. Took my class the end of April Catwaba Hoilday Inn. Sea-Tech Marine from Buffalo. Dennis Daniels owner and instructor of the school. He teaches a bunch of classes all winter and spring in this area.
    Who is doing this class ? Hard to believe they are doing it in one week ? But I suppose that is okay ?
    The Rules of the Road is the hardest test !!!
    Plus the plotting test can be a challenge !!
    I got my 50 ton license and my assited towing ! That was a extra class plus $$

If you have any questions please ask ?

I should be running charters next year.

9. Gju42486

Gju42486 Banned

first off- congrats, giving the test is worldwide marine training inc. www.wegivethetest.com they stated that you pass the test, and walk out the door with the letter, than just have to get it "activated" at one of the 17 stations around the area, closest to us is toledo. Do you happen to have any study material or anything they gave you? Shoot me a Pm with any details on the class if you want.

10. Fishers of Men

Fishers of Men Senior Member

Inland also is 90 days in the last 3 years. Here's what the sea service form looks like: month , year, days, on your vessel or a friends. You will be sending in proof of ownership, take a medical exam, cpr/first aid course, and of course a drug test which are all extra costs involved.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa305/FishersofMen/ScannedImage.jpg

A local Captain, (Bill Ortman) 3B'S School of Nautical Academics does the same certifications, except it is 3 weekends, if that is more convienient for some instead of missing work, pm me and I will give ya more info. Last year he held one east and one west of cleve. All materials supplied. Fri eve a few hrs, sat and sundays. Oh ya, same kinda price but sometimes he runs specials.

11. Fishers of Men

Fishers of Men Senior Member

yes, you get your certificate from him but you still have to do the other things I mentioned and within 1 yr go to the CG for the oath. You cant get your license approved until these extra things are done. I am sure he will tell you them in class. I forgot to mention digital fingerprinting.

12. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

looks like im going to need to docuement more time. i want to be legit when i do this. thanks for the info guys.:D