close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone else own a Minn Kota PD50?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by FINMAN, Aug 28, 2005.

1. FINMAN

FINMAN Old Junior Member

This is the type you can control from the back of the boat. I've developed a short that won't let me turn right. I've replaced all the wire connections and I think its in the foot pedal. All other functions are fine & I've replaced the pedal springs. Before I buy a replacement pedal, anyone have any ideas? :confused: Thanks in advance. -Dave

2. It sounds like a bad board. Take it to Boat Things in Westerville, Ty Clarkson will be able to replace the board without buying a new pedal. If it is still under warranty, he is a licensed MinnKota repair shop.

3. I have same unit and pedal often doesn't work at all when I first start using it. Sometimes cleaning contacts where pedal plugs into base helps, othertimes manually turning head while operating pedal useful. Mine probably suffers from inactivity(I have a transom mount also) and the accumulated wear and tear of trailering.

4. FINMAN

FINMAN Old Junior Member

Thanks. I just pulled his information off the Minn Kota website, and I'll probably try calling him today. There are currently 2 footpedals for sale on e-bay, though, and I may make a low bid on the new one. :C Mine is 3+ years old and has seen quite a bit of action.

5. FINMAN

FINMAN Old Junior Member

It was the circuit board. Ty was fast and thorough. Figured out the problem right away. He had the board in stock. Sold it to me for about 68 Bucks (includes 18' cord and connector- epoxied to the board). I put it together myself and saved a little moolah. Now as soon as it stops raining I'll get it back on the boat. :D :D :D

6. My PD50 just started acting up in Canada, of all places, this past weekend. The foot controller doesn't always want to respond. From reading the posts, I'll check contacts, then consider the circuit board, followed by avoiding MinnKota in the future. I had similar problem with the first on Cabelas ship to me and had it repalced. As I read others similar problems, I blame MK and will pursue with letter of dis-satisfaction.