close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone else in cinci see the sealth bomber today?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stampede, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

Took a late lunch at 1:00.Finished lunch and went outside to enjoy a little sun.Heard a plane and happened to look up and it was a stealth bomber.Cool :D I work in blue ash and planes fly over all the time and most of the time i don't pay much attention to them.It made two big circles and flew over twice.First time i've seen one live.

2. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Thats awsome, I live down here but I missed it :(

3. atleast it didn't Drop A Load... lol

4. I have had the chance to see the stealth before, pretty awesome sight. He must not have been going anywhere fast, because the stealth is usually out of site by the time you hear it. Seems totally silent coming by, and about the time it is out of site you get hit with a roar, pretty neat stuff.

5. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

In the sky they look like something out of the next century! Out of place in our skies! Awesome to the max.

I took my family a few years ago now to the Akron/Canton Airport Airshow(MAPPS) where we stood behind a rope 50 yards away from a runway.
    While the control tower/fighter pilot transmission exchange was broadcast over huge loudspeakers, this Stealth fighter flew in by us at 25'-30' off the tarmack. I easily saw the pilot since he had slowed way down. He made several passes past us as we watched with our mouths hanging open.
    After he got beyond us each time he pulled back hard on the stick and went vertical while kickin' it in the tail! Oh man was that radical!
    On one pass after he had slowed up, as he came by us he demonstrated the agility of that beast by doing hard, I mean HARD slams of the stick from left to right.
    He was cutting sideways so hard that he was separating moisture out of the air and it trailed over the front leading edges of the forward wings! This was on a hot, sunny summer day, no less.
    He flew from Virginia and never did land, did his demo and flew off back to his base, too secret a craft at that time.
    Its the most awesome thing I've ever seen at an airshow.
    Letting the crowd hear the control tower transmissions back and forth to him added a fantastic element to an off-the-charts experience.
    We could see him 3-5 miles out as he began his approach for our runway, but like olwhitee said; you never heard a sound from that jet until he was actually past you.
    If you were the target, you'd never know where it came from.
    I've been in the control tower and radar room at that airport, and as cool as that is, the Stealth experience definitely tops it.

6. catking

catking Banned

I saw one fly over very low back when they were still new. It was on it's way to Wright Patterson Airforce base ......... Last year, on Memorial Day, Cincinnati has a huge , 500,000 plus people party on the river. 3 F-18's were going to do a fly over around 8 pm.. Well, to pass time until it was time for them to do it , they were right over the top of my house doing figure 8's and just goofing around. Myself, cwcarper and his crew, along with my wife, watched them for about 20 minutes .......... TOO COOL !!! THE CATKING !!!

7. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

My wife was at the game and called me when it went over. I asked her how she knew it was an F-117 since you can't see them. :D

It's an old joke we say all the time about camo or the Stealth. Pretty cool.

UFM82

8. Tee

Tee Team OGF

I saw a Stealth bomber at the Dayton air show in the early 90's when they were fairly new to the public. This particular plane was from an air base near Nevada. It was an awesome sight to see. He did two fly byes and headed back to the airbase in Nevada. They also had a Stealth fighter on the ground, roped off about 25 yards away and ARMED guards around it. It was really neat to see.

9. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

I didn't see it yesterday...but did see one about six years ago. One of my co-workers did mention he had seen it. They're a pretty awesome sight too. The company I'm employed with designs and manufactures the engines for all of the above mentioned aircraft. As they say in the business (Jet engines) one end "Sucks" and the other end "Blows". :D
    And just for the record...it was a B2 Stealth Bomber (Flying Wing) that was in the area yesterday. An F-117 is a Fighter/Bomber and is significantly smaller that the B2. ;)

10. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

I asked her, "Oh, an F-117?" and she says "Yea, a Stealth fighter." So there ya' go. I just spoke to her and she defended herself and said that her co-worker she was at the game with said it was an F-117. I even asked her how many there were and when she said ONE I asked her if it was the bomber. She didn't know the difference. LOL

Thanks for setting me straight Hook. I didn't know which one it was. After all, you can't see them. :D

UFM82

11. catking

catking Banned

Ever fish at Paint Creek and get " BUZZED " by an F-18 :confused: I've been buzzed twice while in a boat. Once at Paint creek and once at Brookville Lake in Indiana . You can't hear them coming because of the speed in which they travel . But I know they do it for fun because they " tilt" their wings from side to side after they are past you . Scare the stuffing out of you, that's for sure.........THE CATKING !!!

12. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Many years ago while fishing Rocky fork lake there were a couple of fighters that seem to have come out of nowhere. Just about caused me to have a heart attack. I believe they frequently train in that area and take great pleasure in scaring the pants off of folks on the lake. You're right Catking, you will not hear them coming towards you at low altitude until they've passed you! It goes back to the "one end sucks and the other end blows" concept. You simply can't hear the intakes pulling in the air. :D

13. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

The only way i saw it was because it was banking to the left away from where i was.You could see the full profile.When it leveled out,flying straight you could hardly see it and it wouldn't travel far till you lost sight.
    A buddy and i was fishing a pond on top of a big hill in adams county.peebles area.Out to the south an f-4 was flying pretty low say a mile or less away.We watched as he passed and out of nowhere,no warning one flyes over our heads.The ground shook.this guy was so low you could feel the vibrations from the engines and see the tree tops mive from the jet blast.Way cool.Bout crapped but way cool.Up in that area you can see and hear them all the time.

14. DavidWS10

DavidWS10 Bankless Boat Trash

This is my favorite picture of an F-18 Super Hornet.

[​IMG]

In this picture, the aircraft is breaking the sound barrier about 200 feet above the water. You hear this big time when it happens. When I was on board the Eisenhower, F-14 Tomcat drivers buzzed the ship like this quite often.

15. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

Yea ,i like that one to.Webshots has some cool ones i've gotton.

16. my dad said he saw it yesterday, I didn't see it, but saw one fly over about two years ago. very cool aircraft. I also told my dad that when the retire the last B1 and B2 bomber a B-52 (AKA-BUFF) will be there to give both of them a flyby.

17. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I used to almost throw a rock at gate B of WPAFB when I was growing up until I moved out. We have seen some very neat planes, and some "unique" planes too. Anyone ever heard about the "secret hanger" @ WPAFB?

anyway....... during the 9/11 attacks I saw Airforce One flyover St Rt 444 & land, straneg thing was it wasnt using the reg landing strip near 235, it landed more around St Rt 444. Maybe the 235 area was too popular? Lot sof people pull off to watch planes land there.