Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone else get checked by the Division on Watercraft Sunday morning at Turtle Creek? The officer was very courteous and quick. I did not mind taking a few extra minutes to get it out of the way early in the season.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
We did in our kayaks :)

·
KrustyDawg
2,633 Posts
Kgone and fishon got the check at Catawba along with about 50 other boats chompin' at the bit to hit the water. Nice officer though. Kev and Frank make sure you get those boat numbers lowered and in white so they can see them from a mile away !:D

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
I was docked all weekend. That most likely played a big part in me not getting a safety check. I did, however, see more ODNR guys this weekend than I have in the past couple of years. I'm glad that they were there in full force. Hearing about people over harvesting ticks me off, seeing them get caught warms my heart.

·
Registered
567 Posts
He was there when I launched Sunday,but didn't check us. He stopped the guy behind me and was checking him when I put in the water, they must do every other boat or two rotation.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I also got checked at Turtle. The officer sure was friendly- I saw him coming and had everything out waiting for him. The thing that did piss me off though was the guys behind me in line that thought their fishing time was so much more valuable than mine and went around me- they were about 5 or so boats behind me so then I had to wait on them to launch. One was a guy in a 25ft center console with twin something or others that wouldnt start. If you are one that had to hurry around a safety check due to impatience then you know what I have to say to you. My 2cents

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I look to get checked as I get a 10% insurance discount when I send a copy of the report. Also once you get the sticker you are done for the year. They always seem to be checking when you are on the way out and in a hurry. Is there someplace you can get checked "on purpose" so you can get it over with??

·
Registered
482 Posts
Also got a safety check on the way out from Fenwick Saturday. Coming in Saturday night had a Wildlife guy ask to check my Live wells and he checked my cooler. Was legal and didn't mind. Went to get the truck and trailer and backed in and loaded up the boat and he followed me to my parking spot and asked to look in my van, Had fish in the cooler from Friday and asked me for reciepts from anything i may have purchased Friday to prove i was there on Friday. came up with a gas receipt and he went along his way. Glad to see they are being thorowgh.

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
The thing that did piss me off though was the guys behind me in line that thought their fishing time was so much more valuable than mine and went around me- If you are one that had to hurry around a safety check due to impatience then you know what I have to say to you. My 2cents

It's common practice at the ramps to pull around someone that is getting a safety check. The ODNR has no intention of checking every single boat in line. I've seen safety checks that lasted less than two minutes, and others that went on for over twenty minutes. The ODNR doesn't expect every boat to wait and get inspected.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Did anyone else get checked by the Division on Watercraft Sunday morning at Turtle Creek? The officer was very courteous and quick. I did not mind taking a few extra minutes to get it out of the way early in the season.
Just Ducky,
I was right behind you. I was hoping you would occupy him a little longer so I could get in the water. Actually I don't mind the inspections..they are a good double check for me to know I have everything correct. First time I have been asked to show my flame arrester on the I/O though. The officer was very thorough and very kind.

·
Relaxing.
5,750 Posts
REO if you go to most water craft offices they will check your boat. Also usually in may they have a big check were they are set up a different ramps at different lakes checking boats.

I look for them early get my sticker then if they see your life jacket on you or on the seat they typically leave you alone

It gives me a good refresh that i know i have everything and saves time later in the year.

·
EYE GUY
461 Posts
I was there Sunday morning but didn't get check. I don't think anyobody got check when I was launching but they were there.

·
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BlueMax,
Sorry I didn't take longer so you could have hit the water. The officer was impressed that I had everything ready for him to check. Now that I have the duck boat checked, I need to get my 21' Bayliner done. I am sure they will be checking boats in Lorain on Memorial weekend again this year. I like to get it out of the way so I can just pull up to ramp when they are checking everyone else. It always seems they are checking when you are in a hurry to launch. With all the great reports I herd about the fishing out of Turtle, I did not mind giving up 5 minutes.

He did question me about my OH numbers not contrasting enough. I have never been questioned before and never gave it any thought. But I repainted the duck boat last summer. I used a little darker OD green. I guess the black letters do not contrast enough now. He said they were OK for him, but the Feds may not be so forgiving. Anyone know where I can get some flat tan OH numbers?

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,461 Posts
Yeah that sucks, exact same thing happened to me at Catawba saturday, I had everything out ready to go for him and it was quick but 3 trailers slid in front of me, ohh well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts