close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone Eat Gar?

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by Riverman, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Riverman

Riverman Banned

I was just curious if anyone has eaten Gar, how they cooked them and how they taste.

2. Carpn

Carpn BOWFISHERMAN

I've eaten em a few times. They're pretty good. As good as pretty much any other fish out there.

3. i ate some for the first time last year, man i tell ya it was awesome! lots of clean tasty white meat with no bones. only problem was getting through their armor plated skin. i soon leaned that you need to use tin snips to get through it.

4. Ðe§perado™

Ðe§perado™ Catfisherman/Bowfisherman

I have eat them and they are good. Just cut out the back straps and fry them up.

5. Riverman

Riverman Banned

OK - I'm going to try them this year. I have always known they are good fight but considered them a garbage fish.

I know a place that they spawn every spring in very shallow fast movingwater. Is gigging Gar legal?

I'll give it the ultimate test by just cooking in butter with a little salt and pepper.

6. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Look up "Gar Balls" (yes thats what its called... :D) and you'll find a lot recipies for'em. It's a southern thing mostly, pretty sure they use aligator gar but I don't see why a longnose wouldn't work.

7. Carpn

Carpn BOWFISHERMAN

Yes, Gigging gar is legal. I don't think you'll be dissappointed if you try eating gar. Just make sure and trim off any red meat like you would any other fish and you'll be fine.

8. Carpn

Carpn BOWFISHERMAN

[​IMG][​IMG]

Heres a couple pics of me cleaning a gator gar.

9. Riverman

Riverman Banned

Carpn,

Skinning it first will different for me.

Do they have Y bones or just the normal rib cage and and spine spikes.

I am use to cutting off all dark meat on any fish except Steelhead and Salmon.

10. Carpn

Carpn BOWFISHERMAN

They don't have any Y bones. Just a normal ribcage and spine. Use your filet knife and make a vertical cut on each side behind the gill plates and also one towards the back of the body...about even with the back of the dorsal fin. Then use some tin snips and make a cut up the middle of the back. Now just open them up until you can cut the filets off the body.