close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone doing any good at CC?

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Wally Diver, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Is anyone been getting any fish at CC? I have not been out for over 2 weeks and would like to go to CC if anyone is getting any fish there please post your results.
    Thanks

2. cantsleep

cantsleep 3rd shift blues

Lately I've been calling CC "The Dead Sea".

3. I have been catching crappie, blue gill, perch,and drum on minnows,10-15 ft. saugeye fishing has slowed down for me. They must have moved deeper. Three weeks ago caught a 19 3/4 inch saugeye. Talked to the state fish inspector on the lake. he said it was the biggest one he has checked so far. anyone else doing better? this year most saugeye have been small.
    Has anybody caught any whie bass? I have only caught one this year.

4. Dead sea the last two weeks . What is it with the color of the lake it looks like a mud hole has the zebras taken a break ?

5. Nightprowler

Nightprowler Crappie Hunter

For as little rain that we've had, it sure has stained the water color. 84-degree surface temp doesn't help much either. And the white bass and crappie must be on vacation. Night fished Saturday night until the light rain came. ZERO caught. WELCOME BACK "DEAD SEA"

6. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

Anybody been fishing muskies? I have been toying with idea of targeting them with the fly rod but I only have my one man pontoon with a little 30lb thrust trolling motor so I would limited to certain areas. Plus this time of year I guess the boater would kill me. Maybe this fall when things cool down I will give it a shot. S

7. I have not caught a white bass all year at CC. Earlier I did catch a lot of saugeyes and some perch also a few blue gills. I got one 13 inch perch trolling for saugeyes. Thanks for your post.

8. I was out yesterday piddly around the traffic. Marked a ton of fish off the points in 10-20 ft of water. Threw the boards out for about 20 minutes picked up a sheephead and almost a couple of ski jets and a few cruisers. So I just pulled them in b4 someone got tangled up. I'll try it again this fall when everyone goes home. Was my first time on the lake and the structure and contour look inviting. No diff than any other lake when trying to fish amongst the party crew. It just still amazes me at how rude or are they just raised that way as some folks can be. On the note though, I did run across a few folks that were great and friendly and avoided the boards, not like I was running my Erie spread, just 1 board off each side about 20ft out. Spoke with a guy near the bridge in a Crestliner, thanks for the info.

9. I think the water color is due to an algae bloom. I was there yesterday also,
    water temps 82 at 7am and 87 at noon when we left. Only fish was a 6lb flathead on a crankbait.

Probably will give it a break until after Labor Day. When the water starts to cool they will be back on.

11. Backwater, it's just about paying attention to what's going on around you. It's just unbelievable at how close some boats get to you at WOT, just drifting, anchored or whatever.

12. I know what you mean, CJ. I fish CC from a canoe and really have to watch myself because I don't have the same level of control (especially in high wind) that powered boats have. I suspect many power boat operators wonder what the *** I'm doing when I am running in circles trying to get headway against a stiff wind:) Sometimes its almost impossible for me to stay on a straight course, and that can be dangerous when I'm approached by a power boater who expects me to be as maneuverable as they are and to be able to stay on a static course.

13. That would scare the **** outta me out there in a canoe. I bet you've had few close calls, huh? That canoe must be the cats meow back in those tree filled coves.

14. Is not dead. But it is slow, Crappies are always in the lay downs, but 1 keeper and 3 or 4 small ones and you need to move to the next spot. Muskies are around the laydowns early in the morning had two on this week but both threw the lure, one on a large spinner bait, the other on a Rapala jointed shad rap, while fishing for bass. We are usually on the lake Monday and Thursday form 6am to 12pm. I agree about the white bass,they are not happening this year! We have not seen them chasing minnows once this year. And the skiers who seem to want to impress me by jumping a wave 100 ft from my boat have not been around. Maybe because I now keep a paintball gun just for them. All of my bass this year are small 13 in. is the largest but I always catch catch 3 or four in the 10 to 12 in. range. So it never seems to be worth the trip to Rocky Fork for better fishing.

15. sevenx

How do you guys think I would fair out there in my 8' pontoon and 30lb thrust trolling motor. It sound like it be a little harry out there for me untill I got to the protected cove's. Kpntmike are you fishing the laydowns around deeper water drops or back in the shallower cove's.. I have heard that fishing structure close to deep water this time of year is a good bet. S

16. Mostly the drop offs into 20 or 30 ft of water. In a small boat go to wellman ramp then north and fish the rocks and laydowns.

17. Nightprowler

Nightprowler Crappie Hunter

I was out there Sunday night crappie fishing the dam end. The water color is still very dirty. I had 2 lights out. The baitfish stayed down in 6-8 fow, not like a few weeks ago when they were popping the surface. I could mark bigger fish, but couldn't get many bites. Caught one 9-in fish. Nice having the whole lake to myself. HOT with a mild breeze. Could hear the coyotes howling.

18. In my canoe, I try to stay north of Wellman ramp, but when the wind is low I sometimes venture into other parts of the lake. That is usually when I get into trouble:) In the spring, I heard everyone talking about saugeye off the island. One weekday morning it was sooo still and quiet that I decided to venture down that way and try my hand. Of course, after the sun came up, the winds commenced out of the nw. I did catch a few but had to hug the bank all the way back to Wellman:) I have a 30hp trolling motor I mount on the back of my canoe, but its just not enough to maintain headway when the winds kick up.

19. sevenx

Thanks Kaptn. I may try in the fall but if I get a wild hair I will it a shot sooner. My toon can handle decents size waves and class two rapids but as bw said the wind can be a hassle. It does track well but it catchs wind some what. Might be fun to throw a heavy sinking line for saugeyes also. Any carp worth chasing up in the shallow bays. Thanks alot for the info guys much appreciated. S

20. Wally, I haven't been on the lake in at least month so I'm not any help.

Sevenx, you'll be fine if you go in the morning before the wind gets up. The boat traffic is only bad in the middle of the lake and later in the day. There are a lot of carp in that lake. If you go to the back of the second big cove south of the campground (almost directly south of the island) you can sometimes find carp tailing like redfish. They are all over the upper part of the lake.