Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nice fish Duck. That's going to be one of my target fish this year out of Seneca. Never fished for them. Been reading all I can on presentation and tactics. Can't wait to get out there.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
no im not a troller. i was actualy fishing for saugeye and noticed them on the depthfinder and started catching them on a 3/4 oz hopkins spoon. they are easy to identify on a graph. everytime i find a school of them i stop fishing for eyes and try to catch a few. They are a powerfull fish! we usualy only land 50% or less of them. they pop a hook out very easily with the quick powerful runs they make. heres a 25lb striper my cousin caught this year. he about spooled my cousin a few times. i had to put the trolling motor on high to keep up with him so he didnt spool my cousin.

Attachments

·
"Sweet Caroline"
779 Posts
Going to be there tomorrow looking for saugeyes but I most certainly will keep my eyes open for stripers. i have a heavier rod i have a hopkins on ready to through if need be.

can i ask how the saugeye fishing went? haven't been there in a few weeks. i was planning on using vib e and jigs with worm or minnow. i usually don't use hopkins until mid to late june.

·
Carp53.65
4,108 Posts
It's probably been over 10 years since I caught a good one out of there. All of them were off jigs fishing for saugeyes.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
saugeye fishing is decent right now. north winds is not helping the bite the last few days. luckily on tourny day they are calling for sw winds. should help pick up the eye bite. the eastern ohio saugeye club is having a saugeye tourny this saturday there.

·
"Sweet Caroline"
779 Posts
I haven't fish with them for about 10 yrs. I wish I could fish it Saturday. If you are fishing it pm me and I'll let you know how I do tomorrow. North wind means I'll probably hit the wind blown shore tomorrow. Two weeks ago I actually got some fish over 18". But they were all over the place.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
yes im fishing it. my grandfather is president. most of us are guys that fished the s.o.w.c and decided to make a new club that is more freindly and fun to fish.

·
"Sweet Caroline"
779 Posts
Sounds like fun. I looked at the dates and may keep it in mind. I would love to get back into it, but kids and their weekend activities makes it difficult. I would have to try to find someone who would be able to get away also. Seems like the only way I get out fishing is if I take off work durring the week!

I am leaving Canton at 7am tomorrow, and hope to be fishing by 9. Threw a heavier rod in the boat and made sure I had some larger hopkins spoons...just in case I come accross an opportunity to get a striper. I assume you just look for a few very large marks maybe under a cloud of bait fish?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
yep they are usualy suspended out in the main basin. or suspended around main basin points. ill also be out tomarrow pre fishin. stop and say hi if u see me. 16 ft grey boat with a front deck and black johnson 9.9

·
"Sweet Caroline"
779 Posts
sounds good. plan on heading to lashley bay first(i think that is what they call it, by the boater beach). i got two over 18" there a few weeks ago. also got some by that small island and a few by the cabin's boat docks across from the baters beach. they were kinda all over, but got everything almost on vibe. maybe 2 or three on jig.
i have an old 16ft grumman with 50hp white johnson. there will be two of us.
hollar out mike if you see me. i will probably have a light blue and white hat on and be up in the front of boat. we will be the guys who look like they don't know what they are doing! lol

·
"Sweet Caroline"
779 Posts
sorry about he quote above with no post, this site doesn't play well with my iphone.
i got three saugeye...THREE! that is it on friday. 12.5", 14.5' 20.5". and that is all the fish i got in almost 5 hrs. horribly slow. no white bass, no crappie, and nothing else. worst day i have ever had a seneca. got two on vib e and one on twister with 1/3 crawler. all shallow. 5 ft or less and after 11am. water seemed to be colder and very stained the farther you got from the damn . i am sure you guys did better today, was nice weather most of the day. post the result. jealous i wasn't there today.

·
Registered
268 Posts
was there saturday the 7th,2 small saugeye & 2 small bass.with the weather coming out of the north east, I knew it would be tough fishing on any lake.was a nice day for a boat ride.:)

·
ORIGINAL TEAM OGF
5,447 Posts
I have been camped at Seneca for the past 2 weeks and plan to stay 2 more. Fishing has been tough for Saugeyes to say the least. Fish are extremely scattered and moody. It doesn't help with all the different fronts that come through every week from the north/northeast. A few days of stable weather will do wonders. I see starting tomorrow, more fronts and east winds.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
i got 5 keepers friday pre fishing. smallest was 16 inches rest were 18 to 20 inches. along with 6 or 7 shorts. saturday we had 10 boats in our saugeye tournment. my partner and i got 1st with 3 fish for 6.8 pounds. 2nd had 4 fish for 6.4 pounds and 3rd had 4 fish for 6 pounds. rest of the boats brought in one or two fish. big fish was a 3 pounder. very slow for this time of year at seneca. fronts and wind changes are killing the bite. i could not get a fish to go on any bait with bright colors. caught all fish on natrual color vibes and crankbaits.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts