close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

anyone been to rei lakes?

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by sporto, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Hey all, looking for someplace to take the kids camping labor day weekend and saw the thread about rei lakes near springfield. Has anyone been there, if so what are the conditions like, i.e. showerhouses, flush toilets? Any info would be appreciated, thanks, Sporto.

2. Flathead King 06

Flathead King 06 click...click...click

well considering when it was open as just a paylake...nothing like that at all was there...I dont know about now but 7-10 years ago it was just dirt, water, and the baithouse...and back then it wasnt even fit for the fishermen to be around much...trash, glass, dead fish, line, all kinds of stuff laying around...as far as a bathroom...the toilets were all porta-johns and the word showerhouse, meant the shower you'd get from the sky...

im not just talking this way for my own good...and since then I havent even fished it....let alone drive by it...so things could have changed since then...I have heard and been hearing of it becoming a camping place...but I figured it was for folks who just pulled a camper there when fishing...so my opinion on the place may not be of any help...

3. I've been there a few times. I liked it so much I offered to do their website for them :)

It's true they do have porta-jons tho, which I find to be kinda icky - but they beat the weeds. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. I was looking for a place by a lake where I could take my kids and setup a tent and have a campfire while we fished. We tried Rei 'cause we'd been to a couple other pay lakes and found the environment to be less than kid-friendly :)

The guy there told me that they just regained possession of it and that the previous owners let it kinda slide. I don't know because this year was the first time I've ever been there. I think it's now a very pretty place. I think he's trying to make it more of a family type park and less like a pay lake.

They don't allow any nonsense there, they are pretty hands-off so long as you're quiet and respectful of others. They stop by and visit you to see how you're doing.

The first time we camped there we found a spot waaaaayyyy away from everyone so we could kinda be on our own. The second time we were smack dab in the middle of a BUNCH of campers, and we really liked it - I hadn't considered that the sense of "community" would add something to the trip. The people were a blast and I heard more than once "everybody's so nice here".

As far as the fishing - I've caught a couple of cats but I suck at catfishing :) I've seen some whoppers come out of there tho.

I'm not advertising for these guys (well..actually I am, but I'm not getting paid for it..heh) and your mileage may vary.

PM me and I'll meet you down there one night this week if you'd like and you can check it out.