close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone been to Panama City lately?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by WalleyeJones, Aug 14, 2007.

1. WalleyeJones

WalleyeJones Extra Long Member

It seems like I've been doing more fishing out of state than in. Oh well. I just bought an 11' Daiwa Emblem and a Daiwa Emcast 5500 for some serious surf fishing. I can't wait to try it out.

Anyone who's been surf fishing the gulf, please let me know. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

2. I just posted this in another thread but thought I would re-post it here, GOOD LUCK!

I just got back from Panama City Beach a couple weeks ago. Didn't get a charter but we stayed at the Long Beach Resort just down from Pineapple Willies. I did quite a bit of fishing from the beach at all times of the day. Just went to Walmart and bought a rod/reel combo prespooled for about $20. Caught about a 15" shark no more than 60-80ft from the beach around 430 in the afternoon. Also one evening around 7pm caught a whole slew of Saltwater catfish. I'd say 10-15 in the span of about 45 minutes. Biggest probably ran about 2 lbs. All fish were caught on Cigar Minnows and I waded in the surf about waist deep to cast out then just let the surf bring it back with an occasional tug to tighten the line.

3. WalleyeJones

Yeah, I saw your post after I posted mine. Oh well. Thanks for the update.

I'm going to let my 4 y.o. daughter try out those new Fishbites. They're supposed to be like fish crack. I witnessed a guy catching fish 3 to 1 on Fishbites vs. my shrimp. Plus, they stay on the hook better.

4. ScottB

ScottB SW Ohio

I'm at Panama City Beach right now. We stayed at Long Beach Resort the last 3 years but we decided to try a different condo this year, Sunrise Beach. It's real close to the County Pier. We went to the pier Tuesday night and tried to catch some sharks but all we got was shark bait. My son did catch a nice bluefish though. I think we are going to try again tonight.

We went out on a head boat, the Gemini Queen, yesterday. I caught 2 keeper Red Snappers and a bunch of smaller fish. It's a pretty good time, especially for kids.

5. we go to cape san blas about 30 miles easy of where you are by port st. joe. we only did fair in the surf this year. the ladyfish were really thick. but my son and i did real well wading st. joe bay. got trout, blues and some 3-4' sand sharks which give you a run for your money. had on take a ladyfish i was bringing in whole and i had to cut the line it was runnig so fast. used topwater lures and berkley gulp shrimp under a bobber.

6. WalleyeJones

Thanks for the positive reports. I can't wait to get down there. I figure I'll put something large and alive (maybe a small ladyfish or whiting) out on my big heaver. We'll see what lies in the deep...

I figure I'm geared for about 5' shark. Anything bigger is going to give me trouble. I've only got 300yds of line!!!

7. make sure you keep it alive or the catfish and crabs will have a field day. i know it's probably sadistic, but i have cut a ladyfish and thrown it out there to attract some bigger things. but ONLY when fishing from shore. where we go a young boy got his leg bit up about a mile up the beach 2 or 3 years ago. he was fishing with shrimp in his pocket and had a stringer of whiting on his belt and a bull shark got him. we have seen some big bulls in the surf real close in. the boy got it mid-day, but he made a big mistake. watch in stirred up water and evening and early morning. my wife won't let my son and i use live (or dead) bait anymore. also i used the 30 lb test power pro and was able to turn all the sharks except the one that ate the fish i was bringing in whole. it came right up to the surface and took the fish about 20 feet away. i was a good 6 foot and probably a bull shark. makes your heart beat fast. my wife also makes us carry pocket knives. We humor her, but don't know how much of a deterent it would be. but i figure as long as i am in clear water and not using bait i will take my chances. so far so good. I also learned this year that if you turn a shark on its back it does not become docile. forgot that was alligators. have fun.

8. WalleyeJones

I have the exact same line spooled up. The rig I plan on using will keep the bait off the bottom, but I realize critters can still get at it.

I've witnessed too many shark fisherman to ever bother swimming in the ocean again. Plus, I got ate up by some jellyfish a couple years ago. I prefer to bob around in the pools at the condo. Fewer sharks and jellyfish.

All I need to do now is get out to the local football field and practice my pendulum or Hatteras casts...