close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone been picking berries?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BigChessie, Jul 15, 2007.

1. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

Went out last night and picked 4 lbs of berries. Got a bumper crop this year. Time to make some wine:D
    LUCY SHOWING ME WHERE TO START LOOKING. LOL
    [​IMG]

I THINK I MAY HAVE SOME OVER HERE:confused:
    [​IMG]

I GOT THE BEST BERRY DOGS IN COUNTY:p
    [​IMG]

2. Mix up some biscuit dough, place a good heavy layer of the berries in the bottom of a baking pan, spread some sugar over the berries. roll the dough out in about 1/4th inch thick and cut in long strips about an inch wide and cover the berry and sugar with the dough. add another layer of berries and sugar. then cover again with strips of dough. paint the top layer of dough with an egg wash (milk and an eggs mixed together) and sprinkle with sugar. place in oven for about 30 minutes until golden brown. Take out of oven and scoop a big portion in desert dish with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and send it to me , :D

3. BigChessie

Deadwood Looks like I need to go get some more so I can give that a try.............well at least most of it:p

4. Most of mine are off the plants, I also mowed a lot of them in the fields over :). I would eat some then crush the next bush in front of me:D

5. BigChessie

I couldn't believe how many I pruned back and they just kept coming back bigger. lol

6. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

i love eating those black caps they are mmm good!

7. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

glad to see you've got some!
    i'm bummed with mine this year!
    i think the late freeze got my blackberries.last year i made about 15 jars of jam so it'll to last til next year.
    i do have a bunch of new shoots this year though.so i'll dig them up and re-plant them and hopefully have a good crop next year.
    i'm going out on monday to hit the raspberry patch.

8. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Man that sounds really really good. Gonna have to try it.

9. WB185Ranger

WB185Ranger Gotta Love Odie!

I picked some black raspberries last week. I made pie, shortcake and jam :) WB

10. Blackberry Cobbler, My mom use to make that for me, many many years ago. I still make it sometimes. But never can get it to taste as good as hers did. You can substatute apples,peaches or most any fruit for the berrys.

11. We have always called that dish puddin, love it with all kinds of fruit or berries. Peaches are great in it.

B.C., Deer Creek is loaded with berries right now!

12. BigChessie

We finally got all of our canning supplies. Working on some green mators' right now. The next batch of berries will be jams and jelly. After that it will be deer chili for deer camp this year. I only have about dozen things I wanna can :D

Twister I been working on some deer trails,deer caine and switching the deer cams around, so as I walk around I just pick the berries as I go. lol

13. Those are some good looking berries Chessie! I have a ton of them on my place as well. We got a small mess of them on Saturday morning but the largest portion of them are not ready much like what yours appear to be. We had a very good crop of raspberries earlier this summer despite the extreme dry conditions. The size wasn't the greatest and they didn't last long on the bush but they were plenty nevertheless. I hope to get some more later this week.

I am planning on picking some elderberries this year from our place as well. I have always had plenty and never did anything with them. Now that I am thinking to pick some it appears that they are everywhere. I am not sure what I will do with them yet. The raspberries pretty much get consumed in pies, cobbler, pancakes and whatever else we can think of.:)

14. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I was going to ask whether anyone picks elderberries. We used to pick them for my grandma who made pies for all the old ladies in the neighborhood. I didn't care for them though.

15. If the wife doesn't care for the in pies or whatever I guess I may try my hand at making some wine.:):)

16. fishnfool

fishnfool out4dabig1

I went last night and this morning behind the house and man did I hit the goldmine, they are everywhere.They're not quite ready but I still got about a gallon,but in about two or three days they should be ready to go.Looks like fresh walleye,homegrown sweet corn and BLACKBERRY COBLER TONIGHT!

17. My dad always make jam with elderberries, I think its pretty good. He has a steam juicer he uses, anyone use one of those? Works great.

Anyone ever pick paw paws? We used to go pick those when I was a kid and them make paw paw bread, loved that stuff. Have not had any for a lot of years.

18. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

freekin' birds got all of my raspberries, but the blueberries look like grapes??? is it because of the lack of rain? i had these blueberries bushes for over 8 years and ive never saw the berries this big??

19. sporty

sporty OGF Team - Charter Member

ezbite,

I noticed dad's grapes this past weekend - very nice crop coming on. He said it was the dry weater. I wonder if that's good for the blueberries too?

20. BigChessie

I noticed that the birds knocked out a few berries but not enough to make a difference. I did see a lot of the ripe berries looking small and dried up. With all the rain we got I can't wait to start picking the new crop.:D