anyone been on ponds or small lakes this week?

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by hardwaterfan, Mar 6, 2008.

1. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

after that 68 degree, windy day, and then a day of rain, i thought for sure it was over. but is it? anyone been out on small water the last day or two?

2. I'll check one of our 3 ponds tonight when we go feed the horses.......Rich

3. Checked one of the ponds and its maybe 1.5 inches and soft. Broke right through it with no trouble..................Rich

4. Checked a farm pond in the Lima area yesterday, and i should have taken a pole with me, it was 99 % open.
    Also checked the local water supply reservoirs, and 2 of them were 1/2 open.
    Wont be long now, I HOPE !!!

5. hardwaterfan

thanks for the reports guys.

6. We fished one of our honey holes cause it is a spring fed pond with alot of flow in. We knew it would not be frozen. I bet we caught fifty gills. Not many keepers. My buddy did catch about 6 lb channel cat on a bobber. All in all a good day.

7. mrphish42

mrphish42 locators dont lie

Thanks guys for your observations......been doing too much running around last couple of days........had no time to check for myself........

8. Wannabitawerm

Wannabitawerm Flatulent Entreprenuer

Was on Wellington upground on Wed. Ice was about 7 to 8 inches with some soft spot around the edges. Should still be fishable, may even try to fish the blizzard tomorrow.

9. I drove my quad across my pond a couple of times, then thought it might be a good idea to check the ice, DUH!!! I have like 3" of white ice on top then 2-3" of water then about 4" of crap ice on the bottom. It held me up fine but I think I'll keep the quad off it.

10. hardwaterfan

i havent been out this weekend and dont plan on it. wish i could have got out a couple more times. we got dumped on with that blizzard, maybe 20" or so. i cant remember the last time we got this much snow at one time. i think its over for me this year. i have to go shovel the drive again. :D

11. mrphish42

mrphish42 locators dont lie

Just thought I'd up-date this........since it's gotten real quiet out there........ I thought I'd try and see if after this storm, (what the "heck",) there just might be a very slim chance that I might find a place to go ice fishing...... Boy was I mistaken,,,,,,,,,,not only could I not find safe ice .........I can't even begin to find the "back roads" that take me to all these places, once I get off the main highways...........did get close to what I thought might be a Lake.....but with all this snow .............everything has the same look .......My GOD>>>>>>>> Just what I need to add to my "CABIN FEVER" ..........now I cant even find my "fishing spots, Damn.......Sure makes me want to scream "COME ON SPRINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG..........