close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anybody own a minnow trap? Or have experience with one?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fishmason, May 30, 2004.

1. I am thinking about purchasing a minnow trap from wall mart? Anyone hear anything positive or negative about them? Or know how they work?

2. catking

catking Banned

They work GREAT !!! in creeks and streams. I used them all the time to get chubs ,minnows and even crawdads. I put a piece of white bread in it and leave it over night. CATKING

3. traphunter

traphunter Guest

I have a few but they always get washed away. A cheaper way is to make your own out of (two) 2 litler pop bottles.

4. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Oatmeal and Crackers also work well.

5. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I never had much luck with them, maybe the creeks I was putting them in did not have many minnows however.

6. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

From my experiances putting them in choke points worked well, but just about any spot worked provided you have some type of bait in there and the minnows are present as flathunter stated. Check often, seems water snakes are drawn to these things.

7. I usually throw a large rock inside of it to keep it on the bottom. Tie some fishing line to it and then to a tree to keep it from floating away. I use white bread and pack it around a smaller rock, this keeps the bread at the bottom ofthe trap and the fish can't eat it from the outside. Everytime I use it I end up with so many minnows for bait that I just pick the right sized ones out and throw the rest back. If you are near Akron let me know and I will tell you a great spot to put it.

Scott

8. I just reread yur post and noticed you are from Cinci probably not worth the trip to Akron to get bait, but if any of you other guys that have not had success are near Akron let me know if you want a good spot, just leave some for me.

Scott

9. Don Whiteman

Don Whiteman foreverfishing

On the minnow trap, try some of Bowsers dry dog food. Stays longer, cheap and works great! ;)

10. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

11. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

FishMason,

Have had one for years, I use cheap dog food dry kind, load it up not a bunch but a cupful, I like to put it in a deep hole, have a creek near the house, put the ends so that they face into the current and it should stay near the bottom, I like to use the camo colored twine, so it's hard to see, I use an old T handle to push flush into the ground, cover the twine up with grass, if somebody see's it they will walk off with it, and several times I have had water snakes get in and chow down on the minners, but they only do it one time, last supper as they gorge themselves to the point where they cannot get out of the end holes, and they got to breath so death in a basket is there finale, great way to get bait and it is very lively.............Doc