close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anybody know where to net Shad in the Akron Area???

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Baitkiller, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Baitkiller

Baitkiller Baitkiller

Netted a few Shad yesterday at the Mosquito Lake spillway. From time to time I also get them at the Lake Milton Spillway. I never tried below the dam at Munroe Falls but will.

Any suggestions guys & gals?

Thanks
    <><Baitkiller><>
    Akron, Ohio

2. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

I dont know if its legal or not here! BUT....there are THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of shad that make their way up to the Cuyahoga dam (rt. 82) in the fall when the temps. drop. I think last year it was like October/November and I had never seen anything like it before. Ranging in size from a few inches to around 14. They would be so easy to net. They are such a pain in the butt. You cant even hardly fish down there, theres so many.

Now Ive only been going down there for a year but I assume (yes i know) that this is something that happens every year.

I know this doesnt help you right now, but maybe you will still need some then.

3. Dingo

Dingo

Try the spot where the canal to portage lakes starts at Firestone country club. There is a park there and pretty easy access. Best when there is some water coming thru there. I have netted them sweeping an umbrella net off of the cement structure at the start of the canal. If hard up, go to the east 72nd power plant (Cleveland).

4. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

the park dingo is refereing to I beleive is firestone metro park. pretty sure an entrance is off of main street before portage lakes.

5. Baitkiller

Baitkiller Baitkiller

Thanks guys!

I just got in from the Milton Spillway and got 17- 8-9 inch ones.

Time to get ready fer the Flatheads on the Ohio tonight!

:D
    <><Baitkiller><>

6. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

good luck. I have seen gome 12+in ones in portages lakes recently. are you allowed to gig them or harvest them in any other way other than with a net or hook?