Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Catch. Photograph. Release.
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...instead of hauling water with you on fishing trips? I often fish from a backpack and bike and would love to just drink from the source rather than trying to carry enough water with me for the trip/day.

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
I also use the katadyn system... very easy, collapsable bag and filters water nicely...And once you fill the bag… It's portable, you can carry it anywhere… I am sure that the lifestraw system works well also… But I did not purchase it because I would just feel really stupid having to crouch down or lay down on the ground and put a straw in the water…

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
They sell some of the straw types with a bag that screws on. you fill the bag and then squeeze it through the straw.....can also be sucked on but like others have said, that's a pain.
I used one on our last kayak trip and it worked well. drank plenty of water through it and didn't get sick. Cant remember the brand but they do have many that are like that.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Used 2 of the life straw water bottles for remote fishing in southern Quebec one year. It's an annual trip and we pack in all the food, water, fuel for the trip. I spend all day on the boat and thought it was be easier just grabbing water from the lake than packing a bunch of water bottles filled from the bladders at the cabin.
The water bottles were really disappointing, felt like a lot of strain to get water out and then shortly after the trip the straws lost suction all together that were inside the bottles.
I think the life straw is a good idea as a back up system or for emergency but not something I would want to use as my regular drinking method for remote camping or backpacking.
Not sure if my bad experience was just a fluke but the larger more expensive filtration systems seem to be the way to go if you have a campsite or place your coming back to for more supplies throughout the day.

·
wolfenstein
409 Posts
I have the same as rocknut inline on a Camelback pack. Gravity is enough to make it flow so I drink from tube or can fill a water bottle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts