close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anybody have access to equipment to do a fish survey of our private pond?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TritonBill, Nov 1, 2004.

1. We have a 2 - 2 1/2 acre pond. It's around 10 years or so old and I'm wanting to do a fish survey to focus on my next steps/goals. My goals are to get the lake to a point where we can catch 3-5lb bass on regular occasion. Right now that normally doesn't happen. I think there are a number of things wrong with the pond overall, mainly fish that compete for the same forage , lack of structure and lack of adequate forage for the entire food chain. I'm going to have the water tested as well. The water is pretty clear(visibility 3-5') most of year. The pond is spring fed and has a very small stream flowing into it. Besides willows, it doesn't have a lot of places for the fish to hide and ambush.

To do the things I want to do, which is make it a better bass fishing pond, I need to assess the fish populations and most likely take some of the other fish (crappies, a few grass carp, walleye) out. After I know the water quality and fish populations I can start to add manmade structure and take steps to enhance the pond.

Anyone have access to equipment like the state uses to stun and do surveys?

Thanks in advance!

2. walleye and crappies may be some of your trouble "Factors which may play an important role in the development of well balanced populations of warmwater game fish in a pond are the time and sequence of releasing the various species, the number, size of fish, and species combination used. One should avoid overstocking a pond. A combination of largemouth bass and bluegill are generally used in small ponds. Bass are stocked at a rate of 100 fingerling/surface acre. Forage fish, such as bluegill, stocked in combination with bass, are generally stocked at a ratio of 1:1 or 1:5 bass to bluegill fingerling. Crappie are not recommended for ponds under 3 acres. " do a search on pond size ohio odnr evan will help u out to with some info

3. Been doing a good deal of reading on Stocking, etc. Right now I'm not interested in stocking, i'm interested in finding out what's in there so I know the appropiate actions(maybe take fish of certain species out, thin out, maybe stock some, maybe adjust water quality, maybe add structure, etc).

I definately don't like the eyes and crappie being in there, everything that I've read says it's bad if you want largemouth to be successful in smaller ponds. Unfortunately the neighbor has thrown them in there at some point.

www.pondboss.com has also been an excellent resource for me and anyone that is building or maintaining a pond. In fact, it's been the best resource I've found so far. I'm not sure what was originally stocked in the pond but I do know now that there are some definate inbalances. Thanks for the info Lark!

4. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

Not sure about your area but when I was in college (Hocking College) in S.E. Ohio. Our Fish Management class did a couple of pond surveys for people in the area. It was a deal where they would let our class survey the pond for our experience and they also got to find out everything about their pond that they wanted to know. Species, depth, water quality, macro population, plant life, reccomendations for species etc, etc. You may want to check out your local schools and see if they are looking for this type of project.

5. how about a ogf fishing tourney (all c&r) 50 guys should be able to show you a good third of the fish...lol