anybody eat saugeye from buckeye?

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by fishnfool, Jul 8, 2007.

1. fishnfool

fishnfool out4dabig1

I live about 10 mins from Buckeye lake and dont fish it much because the last few times I've ate saugeye from there they tasted like crap, either like mud or just mushy.Just wondering if anybody has better luck with the quality of fish?

2. Not if I can help it. Same opinion. Others will probably disagree but they probably haven't fished Alum for a comparison.

3. fishnfool

fishnfool out4dabig1

It's a shame that buckeye doesn't have better quality eating fish,the fishing is usually pretty good but I'm not gonna fish somewhere I can't eat the fish I catch without gagging,that's why I'd rather drive the hour to Alum or Hoover

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i haven't eaten any for a few years,but never noticed a funky taste.that may be due to the fact i only fish it for eyes during cool/cold water months.

5. fishnfool

fishnfool out4dabig1

I think I'll try it this week or weekend and see if they're any different,seeing how it's been about six years since I've tried to eat anything out of there.sure would be nice if they're good eaters since they are some really good size ones and good numbers

6. 01mercLS

01mercLS It's Fishing not catching

From my personal experience fish coming from deeper water taste better that fish coming from shallower water, plus they aren't mushy because it's a lot cooler in deeper water.

7. I know what you mean by mushy,foul smelling fillets. Seen it up in Buckhorn in ontario. Only a few gills,and cooling them with ice cold water-you can really feel the difference between the mushy fillets from the good-firmer- fillets. They'll also be a little yellower,while the good fillets are white.

All my saugeye come from shallow Indian Lake-all the way to middle of july and I've never had a mushy eye fillet-around 800+ eyes!

Lots of reports on Grand Lake St.Marys with the Mushy walleye fillets,even on some caught through the ice last winter.Something majorly wrong with that lake and I believe the ODNR is working on it along with some other lakes.

8. I fish both indian and buckeye through the ice. There is a HUGE difference in the quality of the meat from saugeyes. I used to catch tons of nice eyes out of buckeye but I stopped going there because of the brown mushy muddy tasting fillets. Last time I was there I caught my limit several times over including my biggest ice saugeye that was around 6.5 lbs. But I slid them all right back down the hole, and I haven't been back since.

I don't have much doubt that it is pollution, probably in the form of human waste in buckeye. BTW. these fish were caught deep, so im not sure depth matters.

The last time I kept them from buckeye my wife complained and said "these fish taste like mud"

Anyone who dissagrees you can keep on fishing buckeye, I don't think that Indian can take anymore fisherman anyways!