close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anybody Drillin Holes

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by Buckeye Mike, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Just curious to see if you have been on the new ice yet. I havent been yet, but going to check on a pond today.
    BE SAFE OUT THERE !!!

2. No drilling, but spudding! Should of brought the auger today, found some solid ice. Actually really surprised to see over 5 inches....

3. will go check the ponds here shorlty...had 2"+ 2 days ago...will report back!!

4. Called Mike at Mikes Bait an Tackle at Indian Lake, said he has gotten reports of 4 to 6'' of ice on Long Island and Black Hawk. No body has been fishing the Northfork side of LI, so no ice report from that side.

I can believe the 4 '', 6 sounds like a little much, has to be some Old Ice in there.

Also checked a local pond, and it only had 2.5'', ice was in good shape, but had 2'' of snow on top. SO BE SAFE OUT THERE.

5. just got back...3-4" of weak crappy white ice!!! drilled 2 holes and left!!:(

6. I heard today reports about two spots...

Mogadore, East of Congress lake Rd. has 2" of ice... not good.

Old State Park at Portage Lks had a good 5 inches of ice and some guys were fishing there.

7. I tested my little pond today with the quad, made it across 6 times with no cracking. I'll drill sometime this weekend.

8. Checked our ponds today and walked acrossed them and was jumping up and down like a fool and didn't fall in and didn't hear anything. Will take my auger tomorrow and check the thickness.................Rich

9. Fished Old State Park last night. Ice was a hard solid 5-6" with 1-2" of crap (snow and slush) on top. Hopefully last nights temps hardened up all that slush. That would mean most of the ice out there should have been 6-7" out there today. I'll be out somewhere tommorrow but not sure where yet. Did not do very well last night. Saw a few small crappies caught. One guy had a monster 14.5" crappie that he had caught a few hours before I arrived. Once the barometric pressure drops a little the fishing will be good again.

10. Just got back from wellington, fished on 5 inches of solid ice with 1 inch of white crust.Some areas looked somewhat sketchy but for the most part it was good to go. Managed a few crappie but they were finicky for the most part, one here one there...