close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

ANybody catching any fish At Alum or Hoover?

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by FISHERLADY, Oct 23, 2004.

1. FISHERLADY

FISHERLADY Fish OH Master Angler

Is anybody catching anything out around Hoover or Alum? What are the water conditions? We went fishing at Oakthorpe. No good. Dinkie crappies were jumping everywhere but, not biting! :eek: Lots of lilly pads there too! :D A buddy of ours went to Hickory Lakes all day today and didn't catch anything at all either. :rolleyes: Thinking of going to either Hoover or Alum........ :confused:

2. My friend and I have been crappie fishing Hoover at least 2 times a week for the last 4-5 weeks. Several trips resulting in nothing at all. Some trips like today we got 4-5. We have only caught them biting good 3 times. All three times they were close to the brush in fairly shallow water. Sometimes it seems they are on the fall feed, then other times you can't pay for a bite.

3. Got some real chunks' (crappie) 10/11" while throwing crank baits for bass at Hoover. But they were on the move in shallow water. Nothin consistant. And no bass at all. Hope this week is better. The water was 59/60 degrees and good color. Good luck!!! :rolleyes:

4. FISHERLADY

went fishing today. Was at Hoover off of Oxbow.... Breezy and the sun was shining :) made me think of Jim Horan's saying from the Hoover fish reports.. "Soft breezes, tight lines." Didn't do much good at all tried everything including live bait. We only caught a bluegill. Water was kinda murky, muddy. I could not believe how low Hoover was! :eek: It was pretty out though. I was there from before noon until about 3 pm. Took some pics. of the scenary. At Alum we launched off of the New Galena ramp. Fished there until after dark. I managed to catch a small perch! :D :eek: surprised me.... First perch I ever caught out of Alum. We fished along the rocks and dam area for a good while. Lots of Lund boats out. Fishing is slow. We were casting and using minnows and crawlers on the bottom. I have some pics. there too. Where was you fishing when you caught those? Where did you launch off of? What side of the Lake? We were on the west area of Hoover. Alum was very low too... I will post some pics. :D

5. East side in middle and south end at Hoover would be my choice. Marked a lot of fish in the 16' to 27 fow. That Oxbow area really doesn't have those depths with the water levels like they are now.There may be a few spots, but not like the areas I mentioned. Fish the water outside the openings of the coves. Use red bank ramps so you can head straight accross & go n. or s. Goog luck

6. I was able to make it out on Alum for only about 2 hours Sunday morning -- and not a bite while fishing for LM bass. This is my first year fishing Alum -- and I was shocked that after a two week absence the water level was down 5-7 feet or so. It really threw me. For anyone who has been there in the past week and has experience there -- will they keep drawing it down, and how low will it go? I literally had to beach my boat on the boat ramp at Cheshire because otherwise I couldn't get in close enough to tie it up while I got the truck/trailer (I was fishing alone)...

7. FINMAN

FINMAN Old Junior Member

I'm with you, doc, ramps were a pain. I hope this is a low as the water level is going to get. Put in about 2pm and fished 'til 7 Trolling yielded zip. Nice marks at 16-18 ft by pines.. picked up a 16" and 17" s-eye, a couple of 11" crappies, and 2 9" perch(jumbos for alum). All taken on Iindy/floating jig and minnow. The clouds had rolled in and the rains were on their way... I thought I'd do better. Towed in a distressed pleasure boater and his wife, so the fishing gods smiled down on me and presented me with a nice hot-n-tot bobbing in the water.

8. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

catchin tree limbs, chunks of mussels, leafs of all type.. :eek:

9. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

by any chance was it a firetiger or a blue n gold firetiger one.... donated a few of them there in the last few weeks...hehe, if it was a gold colored one it probally had about 200 yrds of line tied to it.... dcfisher hung up the gold one and got spooled
    :D :D

sowbelly

10. FINMAN

FINMAN Old Junior Member

Yes it was. Metallic blue/gold tiger large size with a large snap swivel and some pretty heavy duty line. East side main lake.

11. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

it was so rough that day we couldnt have gotten back to get it loose ... good luck with it, hop it gets the big one for ya...

sowbelly

12. FISHERLADY

Thanks guys! I do know for a fact that my BF went to Erie somewhere around Huron or Vermillion and caught their limit of walleye! wow! when I came home he was cleaning em' up. This was Wed. nite. :)

13. I've been on vaction all week and I've fished Hoover every day but Wed.(had to clean out the garage) on average of 10hrs. each day. I've caught several nice LM's, 3.25 the biggest. 7 SM's, 2 at 3# and 1 close to 4#. I forgot my camera Sun. of course that's when I caught 2 nice SM's. Check photo gallery. Also my total for the week on saugeye is at 23. The largest was 20.5". Not many crappie but a couple small perch and several bluegill. I caught all but 1 LM on 1/4 oz. chart. Reef Runner Cicada by working the points in the middle section. All were released. P.S. If anybody snags a silver Samsung Flip cell phone please hang it up. I don't want any crank calls from Charlie Tuna!!! My wife says she was glad I lost mine before she lost hers. I told her it was either the phone or my new Stradic 2500. You have to have your priorities straight, right. I'm fishing out of a green and tan Crestliner, stop and say Hi!!! Talk To Me Later!

14. went to Alum thurs night with my dad and grandpa........we caught 4 eyes and lost a really nice LM right at the boat, that prolly weighed 5 pounds......caught everything while trolling