Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
WALLEYE, SMALLMOUTH, LARGEMOUTH, PERCH, BLUEGILL
161 Posts
Fish are there and cooperating. Best today was 60 backin
20210406_131343.jpg
g 30 feet of water at 1.7 SOG with purple color bandits. Quick 2 man limit. Great quality of fish.
20210406_131343.jpg

·
Registered
389 Posts
Can I ask you what area please,, I'm heading up there tomorrow morning, with my kid and would love to get on on some action...thanks..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Can I ask you what area please,, I'm heading up there tomorrow morning, with my kid and would love to get on on some action...thanks..
Out by B can or directly north or Little Pickeral, that whole area 28-31' north of the reefs is holding fish. 45-75 back on Bandits earlier this week, then yesterday was HJ's 90-110 back, color combo all over but I would say purple/pink colors worked best overall, fairly fast speeds

·
Registered
10 Posts
Would anybody mind telling me about how far B can or little pickerel are from shore? Or any of the reefs in that area. I've never fished erie and if the wind holds out was going to make the trip from PA. Wind forecast so far (which will probably change ) will be in the upper teens on Sunday out of the southish and not sure how far out i can go before the chop will suck.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Would anybody mind telling me about how far B can or little pickerel are from shore? Or any of the reefs in that area. I've never fished erie and if the wind holds out was going to make the trip from PA. Wind forecast so far (which will probably change ) will be in the upper teens on Sunday out of the southish and not sure how far out i can go before the chop will suck.
6 miles give or take to b can or little pick...

·
WALLEYE, SMALLMOUTH, LARGEMOUTH, PERCH, BLUEGILL
161 Posts
Another good day in B and C can area 3 man limit. Purple and pink bandits. 1.5 SOG 60 - 90 back

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
It's been tuff, but they went today. Had our 18 by 10:30, but stayed and played. Bandits, Reefs, Mag 44s, Yozuris, dp Rogues, pretty much anything you could get 12-15' deep got attacked. Lures with single hook replacements worked well. Chromes were hot in the morning and worked all day but purples, greens, and Blues were good too. In the afternoon gin and tonic bandits couldn't be kept in the water. (that's gold with blue head and tail). Didn't keep a firm count, but estimated we handled 50 and usually that is light. The whole N side of the cans is good. A majority of the females have spawned. We had a blast.

The weather is not going to stay nice. This weekend will be sporty. Don't push your luck, stay safe. The water is still in the 40s, not a good time for questionable rigs.

·
Registered
353 Posts
It was a fun couple of days in the B/C can area. Our program was similar to prior posts. 40-65 back on bandits was best with a few fish being caught on a deep husky 65 back. Caught one fish early Tuesday morning 40 back on a p10. Two awesome weather days on Lake Erie for early April. I can't remember one bait dominating the action, but it did seem the purple/pink colors were good. Hope we get to experience some similar weather soon. Next few days look bumpy! Stay safe.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Same as everyone else can area started at b can headed towards c can against the waves with the outboard to no avail pulling purple and pink bandits 30 to 32 f o w turned around halfway to c can killed the outboard and ran 1.8 to 2 mph with the waves with the electric motor and all I can say is it was a Chinese fire drill for the next mile . In approximately 30 minutes had a one-man limit all 20 to 23 in fish with that one pass any bandit purple and shiny caught fish was done by 10:30 a.m. went into the skinny 11 fow straight out from Bessie jigged up three 15 to 17 inchers on a white pink and chartreuse large vibe in the stained water couldn't get the purple hair to go for some reason but what an awesome day! What a fishery marks were everywhere in the water column!
IMG_20210408_093723446.jpg
IMG_20210408_093841657.jpg

·
2,430 Posts
It's been tuff, but they went today. Had our 18 by 10:30, but stayed and played. Bandits, Reefs, Mag 44s, Yozuris, dp Rogues, pretty much anything you could get 12-15' deep got attacked. Lures with single hook replacements worked well. Chromes were hot in the morning and worked all day but purples, greens, and Blues were good too. In the afternoon gin and tonic bandits couldn't be kept in the water. (that's gold with blue head and tail). Didn't keep a firm count, but estimated we handled 50 and usually that is light. The whole N side of the cans is good. A majority of the females have spawned. We had a blast.

The weather is not going to stay nice. This weekend will be sporty. Don't push your luck, stay safe. The water is still in the 40s, not a good time for questionable rigs.
Good report Jim. We had fun! Only thing I would add is:that while the majority of those fish were caught “in the vicinity of the pack” they were very definitely not caught “in the middle of the pack”. Don’t think you need to be in the middle of the pack to catch fish.

Think about it this way. The water is 30’ deep there. Sounds like a lot. But to put it into perspective it is only 1 1/2 times the length of my boat. Sure there are fish down there but there are 100 boats with kicker motors going, sonar pinging, etc. running back & forth over them. Shuts them down.

Scoot out to the edge of the pack & run around it. Fish off the edge of the pack won’t be spooked

Even if I am on my own with nobody around & I run into an actively feeding pod, I will drop a waypoint & then do figure of 8’s around that point, so I don’t turn off the fish.

And I will drop waypoints as I catch a fish to keep track of the pod.

Hope this helps? Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts