Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Great cycle challenge team OHIO GAME FISHING
1,524 Posts
Where do you fish exactly? I drive from cleveland to pymatuning and many times I strike out. Sometimes I may just catch small bass or crappie. Sometimes I'll catch a few nice crappie in a half hour and they shut off.

I usually have to work in the morning and cant stay out all night. When I use to camp more at the state park I could sit under the bridge half the note waiting for the bite. Sometimes it came sometimes it didnt. I never took notes of weather, moon, or anything to try and figure out when a bite should be hot. I mostly go to enjoy the lake, being outside etc

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Having a location your from helps pointing you out to local shore spots. And if you have a ride to venture further out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,402 Posts
Try to find "Structure" when possible. Rocks, boulders, stumps. logs etc. Places for fish to hide and ambush their prey. Transition points - shallow to deep waters access.

Dams are always worth checking.

·
Fishin-For-Fun
1,945 Posts
small ponds, rivers, and streams are more productive than large lake bank fishing IMO. you may want to target those instead of the big lakes. get a set of inexpensive waders (wear a wading belt) and that will open lots of places to you too.

another approach is to find a local "old" guy with a boat whose kids have grown up and moved away. he may be looking for a new fishing partner to teach... offer to wipe down the boat after fishing and then occasionally help with leaves, cut grass, etc and you will have an ideal situation...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Rivers, it’s a game changer when you on a budget. I started by wet wading In The summers bought a nice pair of waders and can river fish year round now. I find it a lot more engaging and fun then bank fishing as well, even if the fish don’t bite I can say I had a dang good time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in Massillon Perry. It’s a little township. I fish the tusc a little in the spring when the fishing is hot. I also fish a little private pond for bass. I can travel just about anywhere because o have my license and I actually just bought waders lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here’s a list of place I fish. Tusc River, Charles mills, beach city dam, petros, I just know started fishing bolivar dam and sometime fish salt fork. I’m mostly looking for good fishing spots for this time of year and flathead spots for anytime of the year... Thanks!

·
Registered
542 Posts
I live in Massillon Perry. It’s a little township. I fish the tusc a little in the spring when the fishing is hot. I also fish a little private pond for bass. I can travel just about anywhere because o have my license and I actually just bought waders lol
Fish the Tusc now for Pike,spinners,jerk baits and jigs with curly tales.Cast near trees in deeper slow moving holes

·
Registered
9,603 Posts
Try tossing twister tails on lead heads below charles mill for saugeye! Learn to read the flows,should be plenty of them in there! Good luck...

·
Registered
475 Posts
See if you can acquire a pair of waders or ask as a gift if you may not be able to afford. I went from a cheap pair of hip boots at around 13 to a cheap pair of chest waders when I was 16 but both proved very valuable in accessing shorelines that otherwise were limited to a few small clearings. Id also recommend sticking to a few multi species lures. I would mostly throw twister tails and medium running cranks, caught everything on them and wasn't a huge deal if lost to a snag or tree branch.
Lots of good memories driving to lakes after school or work as a teenager and wading around catching a bit of everything. Liked wading a lot as it not only gave more access but would teach me the shoreline/depth and bottom type to get experience.

·
Registered
542 Posts
See if you can acquire a pair of waders or ask as a gift if you may not be able to afford. I went from a cheap pair of hip boots at around 13 to a cheap pair of chest waders when I was 16 but both proved very valuable in accessing shorelines that otherwise were limited to a few small clearings. Id also recommend sticking to a few multi species lures. I would mostly throw twister tails and medium running cranks, caught everything on them and wasn't a huge deal if lost to a snag or tree branch.
Lots of good memories driving to lakes after school or work as a teenager and wading around catching a bit of everything. Liked wading a lot as it not only gave more access but would teach me the shoreline/depth and bottom type to get experience.
Be safe.Water is very cold now

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Try tossing twister tails on lead heads below charles mill for saugeye! Learn to read the flows,should be plenty of them in there! Good luck...
I was actually there the last 2 days Ago. I was using a fire tiger twister tail and a link twister tail on the bottom. Didn’t catch anything but lost a decent saugeye and had a nice crappie but got off when I went to bank flip it lol.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’ve actually just got a pair for Christmas. In a month or so in gonna go wading with my buddy for suageye at some dams he goes to

·
catchin my own bait since 1957
1,072 Posts
I’ve actually just got a pair for Christmas. In a month or so in gonna go wading with my buddy for suageye at some dams he goes to
Good luck but be careful out there young man, currents can be tricky and the bottom is always ever changing ... what was a nice level surface last year, or even a couple months ago, can be considerably different a few months later ... wish I had $25 for every time I took a bath because ankle deep turned into a 4 foot hole :eek: lol I'd only have a couple hundred bucks, but always enlightening when it happens and you're suddenly neck deep, especially when the water is 35 degrees :oops:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good luck but be careful out there young man, currents can be tricky and the bottom is always ever changing ... what was a nice level surface last year, or even a couple months ago, can be considerably different a few months later ... wish I had $25 for every time I took a bath because ankle deep turned into a 4 foot hole :eek: lol I'd only have a couple hundred bucks, but always enlightening when it happens and you're suddenly neck deep, especially when the water is 35 degrees :oops:
Yea I will.. him and his brother go every spring so I trust that they know what there doing lol

·
Registered
183 Posts
first of all... there is alot more to fishing than catching fish... next join a local bass club you do not need a boat. fish as a non boater.... you will learn more fishing with guys that been around and meet some not all but some decent people tight lines and good luck

·
Registered
9,603 Posts
I was actually there the last 2 days Ago. I was using a fire tiger twister tail and a link twister tail on the bottom. Didn’t catch anything but lost a decent saugeye and had a nice crappie but got off when I went to bank flip it lol.
Nice man keep at it! Dont hesitate fishing it after dark to. Look for slack water an try suspending jerkbaits... if theres one crappier in ther theres prolly more. Again look for slack water an try some micro jigs under a float. Might get q mess of crappies down there....

1 - 20 of 57 Posts