close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any Steelhead Reports?

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by archman, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Just wanted to see if anyone has any good steelhead reports. This last rain brought a few more into the Chagrin, but it's nowhere near hot. I got two on Thursday in about 4 hours, and my girlfriend and I got 5 between us today in about 3 hours. It was her first steelie, a nice 9 lb hen. It seems like the best action has been right before sunrise, and then for the next hour or so. After that, it seems to shut off.

Parrothead Jim brought up a good point. He said a guy told him that since the Chagrin has been so low all season, and the Grand is naturally deeper, that many of the Chagrin steelies headed up to the Grand in search of a deeper river. Can this be true?

2. I fished the Grand on Saturday for a few hours until dusk and caught nothing. I heard a second or third hand report from a flyguy who mentioned a few being caught in Indian Creek earlier that day but he said he got the skunk. On the way back to my car, I met another guy who also said he was fishless. Water was high and a bit fast, visabilty was better than I had expected; very stained but not Nestle's Quick. Visability was better back in Indian creek.

I sure wouldn't say the run in the Grand is hot right now but I've come the the conclusion that I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to fishing for steelies so I'm not sure I could catch one if they were stacked up in the river like cord-wood :) On the bright side, the leaves were biting pretty good , I think I caught enough to make my own tree.

Steve

3. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

Fished the Rock on Sat. and Sun. Had only one hookup on sacs. Pretty much the same results from everyone I talked to or saw fishing. The conditions on Sun. should have been great but didn't seem like a lot of fish came up with the last rains. Will be able to tell better when the water clears and I go into stealth mode. Have usually done well when the fish become skittish. :cool:

4. zoar

zoar

My Dad caught two on the Ashtabula yesterday (Monday), said he saw several fish caught.