close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any Recommendations for NY Salmon?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by pymybob, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Wondering if I could get any reports regarding NY Salmon fishing. Guides to go with, placed to fish, etc. I'm in the beginnings of planning a trip and would like to get some of your thoughts along with my own research.

Any fish with Yankee Angler? Thanks!

2. Visit this site: http://www.attheoak.com/fishrpt.html

I have been fishing the Oak Orchard area for a couple years, this site is invaluable. The last word I heard from locals I know is that the fish are being seen in the rivver mouths.

3. Just got back from fishing the niagara river for salmon.took a guide the first day so we could learn the ropes,got two one was 5 pounds the other one was 12 pounds ,had the third one for my limit but when i got him up he shoot under the boat and got off.Fished the other two days in our own boat.Nothin on fri,but on sat. we shoot out too lake ontario and caught some smallie.Then we went back after the salmon,got a big one he was 19on the button close to three feet long got some pictures they will be in my gallery soon.All in all great trip,tough fishing you have to really know what your doin on that river.can give rig info and such if you would like. :D

4. for the reports guys! That site was a great start and the pics of those kings were amazing! I'm hoping to do some river fishing there but not sure if its too late for the salmon run or not? If for anything, maybe hit it for steelies and browns...who knows! Thanks again!

5. My girlfriend and I are going up next week with a guide. Hopefully I'll have some pics to post.

6. Oswego county is the best place to fish for Salmon in NY, because they come directly out of Ontario and are super fresh. The best Salmon fishing in the state is up in those tribs of Ontario. I don't care what anyone says. You can fish from shore at most river. Just bring a touch noodle rod and a long net and stay warm! The Salmon and Oswego rivers are my fav places to fish. Here is some info on the best guides in the area. Have fun!
    http://www.co.oswego.ny.us/tourism/fishing/services/river.html

7. Hey PYMYBOB,
    I was up at Lake Ontario on Labor Day on a charter. Fishing started as usual with most of the boats going to the same area. One "dink" was caught early, and after two hours, only one more Salmon was caught. The captain then decided he had had enough, and broke off of the pack to check out some different water.
    At the end of the day (about 1:00pm), with three fisherman, ten Kings were boated (the first dink had been released), along with a 10lb Steelhead. Totals were: 15 strikes, 13 hookups, and 11 boated fish. The salmon ranged between 8-20lbs each. When we got back to the dock, it turned out that we had the biggest fish box in the marina.
    What impressed me most was that captain Jim Taylor seemed to know when to leave the others behind and go find some fish. You will need to speak with him, as I don't know what his bookings are like, but he found a way to accomodate me on short notice (2 weeks, or maybe I just got lucky)
    Here's his info:

8. Hey PYMYBOB,
    I was up at Lake Ontario on Labor Day on a charter. Fishing started as usual around 6:00am with most of the boats going to the same area. One "dink" was caught early, and after two hours, only one more Salmon was caught. The captain then decided he had had enough, and broke off of the pack to check out some different water.
    At the end of the day (about 1:00pm), with three fisherman, ten Kings were boated (the first dink had been released), along with a 10lb Steelhead. Totals were: 15 strikes, 13 hookups, and 11 boated fish. The salmon ranged between 8-20lbs each. When we got back to the dock, it turned out that we had the biggest fish box in the marina.
    His equipment worked flawlessly, and he had a variety. He used downriggers, dipsey divers, and leadcore setups. What impressed me most was that captain Jim Taylor seemed to know when to leave the other boats behind to go find some fish. He lives locally, and a day later I ran in to him again at one of the bait shops, so I would guess he has as much of, and maybe more of the information needed for success on any given day.
    You will need to speak with him, as I don't know what his bookings are like, but he found a way to accomodate me on short notice (2 weeks, or maybe I just got lucky).
    Here's his info:
    Hawg Master Charters
    Captain Jim Taylor
    1-800-464-0103
    e-mail: captainjim@hawgmastercharters.com