close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

any other pepperheads here?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TheSonicMarauder, Jun 2, 2007.

1. TheSonicMarauder

TheSonicMarauder Yes i slept on the couch

well last month i planted my usuall 3 hot pepperplants amidst my moms flowers hehe :D this year i planted cayenne peppers which i like to dry them and then crush/grind them up to use in my grilling spices.... i also like to grill them up or just straight to find out how tough yer friends are ;)

last year i grew scotch bonnets(i call them Satans warheads) which ended up being a bit too hot for my grilling spices so i switched back to my beloved cayennes and i cant wait till they are ripe and ready to use :D

anyways i was wondering if anyone else here grew their own hot peppers and what/how they use them

2. I LOVE hot stuff! Can't get enough.........except now that I've gotten older, my stomach reminds me of how that's not such a good idea anymore.

I went so far as to get this stuff called "DA BOMB" - anybody heard of that? This SHIZNIT is HOTTTTTT!!!!!! ONE DROP in a pot of chili is all you need. It's like dark RED toothpaste - it's wicked. I've had it for years.......and haven't tried any for dang near that long too......haha.

Here it is.......... http://www.hotsauceworld.com/dabomb.html

Check out all the other stuff..........click home and check out the top 10. They even have HOT coffee???? Would like to try that.........sure would do it's name justice I believe. You'll understand that when you see the name of the coffee! HAHA!

3. TheSonicMarauder

if you want a REAL kick in the pants(literally because it burns ya to the end ;) lol) try the snake bite made from the Naga Morich (varient of the Bhut Jolokia/Naga Jolokia peppers) which is in the stages of becoming the WORLDS HOTTEST PEPPER at an astounding 970,000 Scoville Heat Units (SHU) which is twice as hot at the current record holder.. the red savina habenero(350,000 to 577,000 SHU)

the sauce itself is an amazing butt burning, crack sizzling 1,598,227 Scoville Heat Units (SHU)

http://www.thechileman.org/index.php

4. You know - you've gotta have a death wish to eat something that hot.

I've got trouble the next day with the "Flaming Hot Cheetos" I love to eat........I call it the "Flaming Hot A$$H*!E" the next day!!!!

Like I said, I've been having some heartburn problems the last couple of years.........so my eating of hot stuff has dwindled. By the way, I'm only 32....not like I'm an old man!!! HAHA!

5. TheSonicMarauder

lol well skarf when my cayennes become ripe... yer welcome to a few if ya want.... just lemme know :D like i said.. i like to dry them and crush/powder them to use in my grill spices.... i like a nice thick steak with just a little kick that ya feel back in the back of yer mouth... not enough to over power the juicy flavor of the steak, but enough to finish that nice bold flavor with a kick...... mmmm my mouth is watering right now....

i know i shouldnt do this but here is the recipe that i use for my dry seasoning which with some olive oil can make a NICE rub for different meats.... its great on steaks burgers chicken, shrimp, walleye etc.... its just awesome... its got a nice full bold flavor and a little zing at the finish that ya feel back in the back..... i love it!
    2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
    2 1/2 tablespoons salt
    3 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
    2 tablespoon black pepper
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    4 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    2-3 tablespoon crushed red pepper
    1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
    1 tablespoon dried thyme

if anyone wants me too... i can mix up a nice big batch for the grill chefs to use at the ogf members appreciation outing ;) i promise... its not as hot as you think but still has some heat....

6. Very cool! I printed that out and am going to try that next steak I cook!! We went in with the in-laws on 1/2 cow and got some really excellent steaks!

7. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

peppers are fun to grow. i have a bunch of different types. i use mine in my homemade salsa. i never found any salsa that i really liked as much as my own. packs a serious punch. also use thai hot peppers in chili. we dehydrate a bunch and keep them in glass jars. they look cool dried up in clear jars. then my wife crushes them into chili and its awesome to taste that summer heat in the dead of winter in a nice hot bowl of chili.

8. Dried all the pepers that I had left and what my buddy had left grinded them up and wow I know why my buddy called it Devil's Dust so far everybody thats had it from jerkey to on hamburger starts eye watering and running for something to drink :p on my way to pick up a few more pepper plants :D

9. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

thats a great idea. we have a couple quart jars of dried peppers. i might have to try that.

10. I have been growing peppers and making homemade salsa since the mid-80s. In typical years, I'll grow about eight different types of hots - from anahiem & poblano (medium/mild) thru red savinas. Salsas go from mild / mild smoked thru XXX (Fire on Uranus) = all eight peppers with lots of hickory/mesquite smoked habs & savinas in the mix). Most popular peppers are jalapenos and poblanos, since they smoke the best. Others (serrano / cayenne / habeneros) are added unsmoked to add fresh flavor and heat. Anywhere from 80 to 200+ pints are year are typically produced, depending on quality tomato supply.

Over the past 10 years or so, I have gravitated to growing pepper plants in large pots instead of in the ground. I can more effectively move them around to the sunniest areas throughout the season, plant 'em a bit earlier, grow them a bit later, and control the soil moisture a bit better.

11. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

Planted the garden with sweet yellow bells, green bells, Hungarian wax peppers, Jalepenos, Super red chilis and 1 habanero plant. I love peppers. I love pickled peppers, dry them for spice, and eat them grilled, fried or just plain with a little salt.

And yes, I've got a bottle of "DA BOMB" which has resided in my fridge for the past 2 years. In all that time I think I've only used 1 tablespoon - wicked stuff.

12. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i won't tell the wife about thos pepper plants;)
    if i do,she'll not only be drinking your beer,she'll be bugging you for some jalepenos:D

13. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

This is the bottle I have had in my fridge for quite a while, my god is it true to it's name !:D

Attached Files:

14. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

15. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Here's part of the warning label on my sauce.

All those other sauces are mild. I use pure, crystalline capsaicin for the heat in my sauce. Pure capsaicin is 15 million Scoville units. I found about 5 million Scoville units is the absolute maximum either end of me can handle anymore.
    The key to a good hot sauce is the flavor. Many peppers like habanero have the heat but taste awful. So I make a very tasty base sauce and use the capsaicin crystals for the pure heat without nasty oleoresins messing up the taste.
    I'm like Skarfer. I'm getting older and my intestines cannot handle the spicy stuff as well as it used to.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  16. Yeah, my intestines - but more importantly...........my AZZ!

HAHA!

17. You know what? I just checked my bottle of Da Bomb.....it's the "beyond insanity" one..........

I can't believe with how hot this shiznit is that it's that far down on that list! That's CRAZY to even begin to think about how HOT the ones above it are!!!!

Wanna hear something funny/somewhat cruel?? Please don't hate me for this - all mentioned are fine:

I couldn't get my cats to stop begging at the dinner table. SOOOO.........one day I was eating something (forget what?) and the cats were driving me crazy - they would run in and out of my legs, and jump up on my lap - then when you threw something down, both of them would swarm and almost fight to eat it. Anyhow - you guessed it, I put a TINY dab of DA BOMB on whatever it was I was eating and tossed it.

The only reason I'm telling you guys this is because it was the funniest thing I've ever seen in my life. If I could get them to go anywhere near the dinner table now - I'd videotape it and win America's funniest hands down! They were doing backflips and snorting - before finally making a mad dash to the water bowl.

Needless to say - they steer clear of the dinner table now.

18. That's funny. Pretty close to how I used to gage the the heat in my salsa. My dog would always bother me when in the kitchen, and wanted a taste of whatever I was working on. When she took a taste and wanted another = mild. Run to the water bowl, want more = medium. Whine, water, not come back = hot. Whine, run, hide = just right.

She lived for over 16 years, so the salsa tasting couldn't have done too much harm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]