close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

any one heard of this?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JCS, Apr 9, 2005.

1. JCS

JCS Member

i was down at my pond today and there were bluegills swimming around in circles with their eyes bulging out of their head. after walking around it i found like 6 dead ones and 6 still alive. i saw some bass and they all looked healthy. i really never heard of this before. just wondered if anyone has or might know what causes it. thanks.

jcs

2. Well there are guys on this board who know more than I about this sort of thing but I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Sounds like a bacterial infection. In aquarium fish you see the eye-buldging thing when fish have Corneybacteriosis or severe Dropsy (with dropsy there is usually abdominal swelling as well, along with other changes to the fish's appearence).

The usual causes are poor water quality either due to over-crowded conditions or water with excessive nitrates or ammonia. If the fish aren't over-crowded then the problem might be related to fertilizer or waste run-off from nearby farm land.

Bulging eyes can also be caused by gross oversaturation of the water with oxygen but this would be unlikely in a pond.

Steve

3. JCS

JCS Member

thanks alter. i still dont know. it is a farm pond but no cattle are allowed in around it and there hasnt been fertilize sread in the close proximity. i have seen the eyes bulging in some of the pet beta fish we have had. it kinda looks as if the pond turned over. we have had a good bit of rain and 2 springs run into it. so i dont know. thanks again..

jcs

4. Fastlane

Fastlane Fishless as usual

If your pond is turning over you could be in trouble. When a pond turns over basically what happens is the decaying much on the bottom of the pond becomes so thick that the natural cycle of ammonia, nitrate, and nitrate is interupted due to the mass on the bottom basically smothering out the "good" bacteria that convert the ammonia and nitrate. Gasses build up over time until they eventually are in large enough quantities to lift the crud on the bottom and release in large quantities. This rapid release of gasses very similar to methane cannot dissipate quickly enough and toxifies the water. It may be that in your pond this is occuring but on a smaller extent. (True turnover will kill everything in less than a few days) What is happening is that the gasses are building up but not to the point of devistation yet. The water temp is rapidly rising thanks to the weather finally cooperating. Heat rises so some of the bottom material is rising as well releasing some of these toxic gasses. Not in fatal amounts but enough to alter the water quality. This is affecting the fishes immune system and they are becoming more succeptable to disease. What you are describing is commonly know as "Pop-Eye" and is devistating in an aquarium but in your pond I doubt it will be too bad. I would not worry just yet unless you start find 30-40 at a time belly up. If you have any access to some form of aeration it will really help.

5. JCS

JCS Member

thanks for the reply fastlane. that sounds like what is happening. i guess i can spare 12 gills. hopefully it dont get any worse. thanks again

jcs