close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

any news on that houseboat wreck

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by angelus40, Aug 26, 2005.

1. is there any update from yesterdays accident? it's sad two
    people lost their lives

2. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Not sure what you are talking about. Where was it? Obviously I haven't heard about it or Iwould know what you are talking about.

3. it was near the big mac bridge they said it was near dayton ky
    a tug pushing a barge rammed into a houseboat

4. I was wondering about it also?They sometimes start a story it makes the headlines then drop it :confused: Guess it is not important anymore???

5. crankus_maximus

It is not a glamorous 20-something from a well-to-do family in a suburb of COlumbus. It won't stay in the headlines....

6. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

Looks like one dead and 2 missing. They said it was a 36ft Gibson, that had motor problems and while they were all down trying to get it started they hit the barge and got dragged a 1/2 mile. Some articles about it if you google it. The barges are very hard to see. They are only required to have a light at the bow and stern. The barge had 15 coal barges all together.

7. Tee

Tee Team OGF

8. crankus_maximus

It seems it's all terrible news these days...

9. it was on the news again today
    click this link http://www.channelcincinnati.com/index.html
    first story

10. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

So your comment doesn't apply. It would seem you have an issue with the 20somethings in your area. People died in a boating accident here and you've just exposed an ugly side.

There are a number of boating accidents every year on the Ohio, yet the death toll is usually very low. Despite the large number of boaters on the river during the summer, most people never have anything but a great experience. However, when accidents do occur, they tend to be bad ones as the boats tend to be big and/or fast. Add that to the large amount of barge traffic that we see here and it all adds up. Much like a shark attack that is infrequent and yet gets lots of coverage, so to is a wreck on the river. We will hear about this for a while. I don't expect to hear about a wreck on Alum or Erie or Pymatuning. That is the only reason you didn't hear about it. Not some class issue.

Somebody's son died. Be respectful. It is a shame that these things happen and I feel for the families.

UFM82

11. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

The 20 something he's referring to is a model that disappeared from an OSU campus bar last week, and it's all over the news up here. I think all he was trying to say was that the wreck on the river hasn't made the news up here, because everyone is focused on finding that girl. In this case I don't think class is the issue either, but I do think a missing/abducted person should be priority news while there's a chance to still find her alive.

The wreck is unfortunate, and resulted in an uneccesary loss of life. I too feel for the families.

12. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

i work for AEP, we have the largest riverboat operation in the world (to move coal). i sure hope it was not one of our guys. i dont work in the field or with electricity (im a systems administrator) but it really sucks losing one of your own.

13. i hope they find her too... i hope they find her alive too lets all pray for the familes in both incidents

14. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

Boy this one really opens the eyes, I for one watch barges like a Hawk on the river, give them as much leeway as I can but I always assumed that they can "see Me" on there radar, looks like after reading the article, they never even saw the houseboat,being rolled for a 1/2 mile is a long way,our condolences to the family's.

15. So what is up with the extra person?Anyone here anything?

16. crankus_maximus

I am being respectful. What I'm saying is that up here in Columbus all you hear about is the Popovich girl is missing. I didn't even know there was an accident. I feel for all the people involved in both the boating accident and the missing girl. It just seems that the media would rather push the missing girl case on us. That's what I was saying.

You kinda jumped to conclusions.

17. Tee

Tee Team OGF

HERE is the latest about the 4th person in the wreck. Its a very sad story. Condolences to the familys involved.