Ohio Game Fishing banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Yes i slept on the couch
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got inducted tonight :D my sponser was my dad.... the ceremony was kinda goofy but it wasnt too bad lol... my dad wanted to get me in and now my brother in law was like WOOO! now you can go to the moose (bowling) tournaments with us! lol

anyways i was wondering if there were any other Moose members here :D

·
AEP or Bust
337 Posts
Ya just gotta love the drink prices, food, fishing tournaments and conventions. Been there for almost ten years.:)

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm very distrustful of all "Fraternal Organizations". What are the motives and how much of their operating budgets actually end up to the charities they claim to support?

Plus, I'm cool enough that I don't have to pay for my friends. ;)

Winner

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
Nothing wrong with the Moose. Dirt cheap drinks and food. Plus being a "private club", they all can still smoke w/ a beer in their hands indoors all the while giving the finger to the State of Ohio and it's big brother laws!

No I'm not a member but I do call the local Moose to have them warn their members when there is a cop sitting across the street.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I became a member through my Dad years ago. Then I found out I couldn't invite any black people. It was an unwritten law so to speak. My Dad didn't agree with it but said "what am I supposed to do?". I never walked through their doors again and when I received a bill for my annual dues I wrote them a nice long letter on how I felt about their organization.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
I'm very distrustful of all "Fraternal Organizations". What are the motives and how much of their operating budgets actually end up to the charities they claim to support?
you'd be surprised at how much some of them do for many charities.not only charities,but less fortunate people.not only thousands of $ a year(from individual clubs),but donating time and resources,food,clothing,etc.
Plus, I'm cool enough that I don't have to pay for my friends.
no doubt,LOL.
and i'm so cool,other members pay me just to be their friend:D

i dropped my moose membership after one year.but i first joined the eagles about 40 years ago and am still a member.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Could somebody explain to me exactly what clubs like the moose are ? Im wondering if it wouldnt be a better idea to just join a rod and gun club. I just dont understand what these other organizations are.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
MAdMac....thanks for that input. Have considered joining a couple times....some friends are members. Had no idea that was part of the program.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Fraternities "exclude" those they do not want in their membership. No matter if it's a written or unwritten rule-its all the same. Racism/sexism/classism...but don't worry, its all for charity. :(

Winner

·
Yes i slept on the couch
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wel... i would like to thank some of you for changing my view of something i grew up with... my mom and dad have been members long before i was born and i grew up around people who were moose members, my family has always thought of the organization as a place for family, hence why my dad got me in.. and when i say i grew up in this organization, i mean my baseball coaches, my bowling coaches, and the majority of my families friends are members. everyone who i needed growing up and were there for me were moose members... the moose sponsered my baseball teams growin up just like the american legion and american eagles and other organizations like that did. i figured that the organization was filled with good hearted hard working quality people that essentually helped raise me, but i guess that my perception of that was an illusion.... that was the point of this whole post.... i was under the belief that moose members were good people, and ive met a lot of good people on this site so i wanted to see if any of the good people ive met here were members...

i didnt mean any of this in a mean kind of way, its just that i thought of the moose in a certain way and now i find out that opinions from outside of my family and friends are different then what i had believed

if i had known i would have been taking a risk of being labeled something bad, then i wouldnt have made this post.....

lock this if you want....

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
if i had known i would have been taking a risk of being labeled something bad, then i wouldnt have made this post.....
i don't think anyone(well,most people)would consider you a bad person for joining the moose lodge.
yes,most fraternal organizations have "rules" that may "discriminate" in one way or another.that doesn't necessarily make them "bad".it's not just clubs like the moose,eagles,etc.
race,gender,religion,etc have been a basis for membership in various organizations(even college fraternities,sororities) for hundreds of years.and EVERY race,gender and religion has there share.
i do see that changing in the future though.
as with anything,even this website,there are good points and bad points.i'm sure you've heard people complain about things they don't like about ogf.but are you a bad person because some others think it's bad?i don't think so.
make your choices(including to join or not) based on what you believe to be right for you.not on the personal opinions of a few "strangers".
Racism/sexism/classism...but don't worry, its all for charity.
nobody said the sole purpose og those places was charity.
talk about spinning things:rolleyes:
it's a shame to be blinded by one's own lack of information and predetermined notions.

·
Yes i slept on the couch
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
good point misfit........

·
live-2-fish
829 Posts
i am a member at the moose, and i think i read that someone wasn't able to invite African American people. my buddy's uncle goes there and he brings his friend and he is African American so i don't know what that is about?

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
yes,most fraternal organizations have "rules" that may "discriminate" in one way or another.that doesn't necessarily make them "bad".
WOW!! It does in my book.

Sonic, I wasn't trying to label you or even tell you what to do. Maybe all the clubs aren't the same or maybe they've changed over the years. This "stranger" was just stating facts that were true about the Port Clinton Moose across the street from Jacknife Marina about twenty years ago. Look around and make up your own mind on what you see is true about the club you joined.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Sonic......I figure you are lucky. Sounds like a bunch of Moose affiliated people helped you grow up. Only you know what that means.

A bunch of Catholics helped me grow up. It was all good by me......but today lots of people have other opinions about catholics and their clergy.

Stand up and be proud of where you came from. We ALL owe that to those who raised us. No organization is perfect.

Your actions will speak for your personal beliefs.

·
officially unofficial!!!!
2,536 Posts
i have to say that i know for a fact that the racial aspect just isn't true at all moose clubs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.