Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone is have any luck at O’Shaughnessy. I’ve been fishing at Alum the last few weekends and thinking about a change of scenery. I’m not asking for any secret spots or what you’re using to catch them. Just curious as to what’s being caught. Thanks

·
Registered
501 Posts
I was out there for about three hours and was the only one in sight. I kept thinking - If only this were Alum! The ramp at the nature preserve appears closed on the DNR site due to low water/ mud. It might be possible with a small boat, but I would not risk it

I see by your handle that you may be using a kayak, if so then yes, you could launch, just not at the ramp. My yak has a propulsion unit, so I can get up to 5-6 mph which gets me around. Did not help with the bite, however. Ended up going below and smacking dink smallies all day on the TRD. Amberleigh(sp?) and going up might find some deeper water and larger fish, rather shallow(2'-5') below until you get close to the Griggs pool.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Pulled cranks all morning looking for crappie , only managed one keeper crappie. But I did hook into 4 catfish which was fun, but not what I was looking for. It was rather murky. Fish Bluegill Fish Tilapia Bass

·
Registered
15 Posts
Brother and i caught fish in the south pool on offshore wood and rock piles. This was last Saturday. A few topwater early but then mostly cranks. Pulled a few out on wacky senco when traffic/wind allowed. Mostly 3-10’ deep. Good luck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I live the closest to O'Shag-hennessey but it gets about 1% of the forum posts that Alum/Hoover get. Even this one......3 replies in a week? Bums me out because every time I'm there it's pretty wide open. of course, I never seem to do great there - catching a few dinks shallow and maybe a cat/saugeye/crappie thrown in for random fun. Also, I don't claim to be an expert on watersheds, but it's usually a lot more muddy/murky than Alum. It also gets a ton of bank fishing pressure with all the good bank access, mostly on the east side.

Maybe there's a secret society of anglers who absolutely slay the OShag and keep that all to themselves.....?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
O’Shay is a really inconsistent fishery. At times it can be good, but you have to hit it just right. It’s seems it’s more consistent with bass fishing. We used to fish it in our tournament circuit but dropped because it just got continually harder to catch crappies. We’ve also fished it for saugeyes and wipers and had about the same results. So my suggestion would be your best bet would be to fish for bass when you go there. Sending you a pm also.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I live the closest to O'Shag-hennessey but it gets about 1% of the forum posts that Alum/Hoover get. Even this one......3 replies in a week? Bums me out because every time I'm there it's pretty wide open. of course, I never seem to do great there - catching a few dinks shallow and maybe a cat/saugeye/crappie thrown in for random fun. Also, I don't claim to be an expert on watersheds, but it's usually a lot more muddy/murky than Alum. It also gets a ton of bank fishing pressure with all the good bank access, mostly on the east side.

Maybe there's a secret society of anglers who absolutely slay the OShag and keep that all to themselves.....?
Its a interesting lake , often murky, not much vegetation or structure , but tons of good bank cover, but its most redeeming quality in my opinion is that its not Alum on the weekends during the summer, and I pray it stays that way, if you catch my drift.
10 years ago I had a great Saugeye pattern utilizing small spoons tipped with crawlers, but now that gets me nothing but the channel cat. Same with trolling, way more channel cats then anything I am targeting. This is entirely circumstantial , but it often feels like the channel cats have completely taken over, they are aggressive to , often will find them schooling chasing shad near the top, like wipers used to do

1 - 9 of 9 Posts