close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any large snake owners out there?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fishman, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Today I purchased a baby Tiger Rat snake. Generally speaking males reach sizes of 10' where as females reach about 8'. The breeder whom I bought it off suggested that I get something with the dimentions 4' x 2' x 3' for when it reaches adult hood. I havn't recieved the snake yet, they are only 1 week old and the guy wants to make sure they are feeding well before he brings me the snake, but when I get it I'm going to keep it in a 2' x 2' x 3' aquarium, which will be more than enough for its first year. However when it gets larger I'm going to need a larger more easily accessable cage for it. 4 foot deep would be awful hard to reach down in to clean out a tank.

So what I'm wondering is if any of you guys have ever built an enclosure for a large aboreal snake or if its just as cost effective to buy one for it. I've got a while untill the time comes that it needs a larger tank, but I'm thinking ahead, and may just go ahead now and put the little guy, who will probably be around 2' long when I get him, in a large cage.

2. jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj

3. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

We're you building them for yourself or do you do that as a job you charge people for. If so I'de like to talk with ya ;)

4. You are going to want to have another tank/habitat to feed the snake in. 100% do not feed the snake in the same place that it normally lives in. If dont you will end up with a snake that bites when you try to pick it up. They can only feel the heat of their food and if they get used to you dropping food into them, they will not be able to distinguish between your hand, or a mouse and they will react accordingly. If you seperate it from its normal habitat when feeding, it will not have this reflex.

Good luck

5. I've owned corn snakes , pythons , Iguanas , monitors , chameleons , turtles , ETC.......ETC. A 125 gallon tank would be fine for that snake or you can build your own by using 2x4's and plexy glass. I built a nice stand which inclosed a corner of a room for my chameleons that I had. If you have any questions feel free to P/M me. Also I have a 50 gallon tank and iron stand if your interested that will last you a year or two. Take care........Rich

6. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

olwhitee, the Tiger Rats are very territorial so your statement is 100% true. According to the breeder it doesn't matter where you feed them because of their territorial nature. When you remove them from the tank you just have to use a snake hook, after that they are like babys. I held the father of the young today, awsome snake to say the least.

Rich, I'll probably be in contact with you. I'm considering just buying a large aquarium but since the snake is aboreal I think I might be better off building something taller than long. Do you have any experiance with snakes that like to hide in the "trees' as aposed to somewhere on the ground? Just looking for more suggestions.

Keep the input coming, thanks!

7. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Ya snakes that like to hide in trees should be left in trees. LOL when i meet my wife 8yrs ago she had burmese python that was 9ft long. We had a home built cage that was like 6ft long 2ft deep and 2ft high set up on a stand 4ft off the ground. But if yours likes trees i would build one in a corner in the house from floor to ceiling put a fake tree in there and some heat lamps and such with full opening door on the front that is almost all plexy glass so you can view the whole inside of the cage. Just to note i don't like snakes give me the hibby gibbys.

8. Building your own stand is the way to go. The territium [s/p] I had for my chameleons went from the floor to the ceiling. I had a minture rose bush in it as well as a flicus bush in it and a small pool in the bottom with frogs and salamanders. I'll have to do some research on the snake you got and go from there. I wish I could have pets/reptiles in the duplex I live now , but I can't even have a fish tank. The person that lived here before had a leaky 175 gallon tank and left it here and ruined the carpet. Take care...............Rich

9. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I sold a big display case once to someone for a big snake. It was about 6' long, on legs, glass top, ends & front, with sliding doors on the back. Maybe 3' X 3' X 6-7' (?)Had a small tube floresent light built into it too. Shouldn't be too hard to find one from a store that went out of business or upgraded. Anyway, you could probably get one for under $200, maybe even $50-100 or so if you take you time & leave your phone number with auctioneers & used furniture stores & thrift stores.

10. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Don't know if that would work for your tree snake, she had a python. If you're going to build your own, here's a tip. contact a window replacement company that installs patio doors. Most installers would be tickled if you gave them a few bucks for the old glass doors. It saves them from hauling them & disposing of them. The glass is tempered too. That would give you a glass front & back, 3' wide x 6' 8" tall.

11. Yep , thats what I used...........Rich

12. Tommy i got it. Just buy a glass patio door and put it on a closet. And there you go a snake Cage.

Im just joking, but i bet there are people out there who have done it!

But like i said you figure out what you want and buy the stuff, ill put her togather in no time.

13. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Thats an excellant idea MrFish, but it'de be awfull big :p I think I'm going to try to build it to to the size that the breeders suggest, unless I find something at a store :)

14. jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj

15. If you only knew how funny that really is. I was talking to fishman on the phone last night helping him think of ideas for this cage. Then he said he wanted a venomous snake. So then we started joking about how funny it would be when it nailed him.

Yep i could see it now, tom would get a few Crown & Cokes in him and decide he wants to play with his pet viper. Heck ill buy it for you if you write me into your will. Yep all fishing gear and your savings account sounds good :)

P.S. my closet with a glass door does not even get a response :(

16. catking

catking Banned

Like Richs63 said, I've also owned diffrent snakes, turtles, frogs etc. Black rat snakes were my favorites. I had some in the 6' range. Ringnecked snakes were also a favorite. Hognosed were interesting. Now I have one lonely musk turtle :D .DA KING !!!

17. Years ago my buddy had a pygmy rattlesnake. One night [New Years] and after he got a few drinks in him we talked him into picking it up. First we fed it a mouse well while the mouses tail was still hanging out of the snakes mouth my buddy picked the snake up and we snapped a picuture. Wrong thing to do due to the flash freaked the snake out and he started to spit the mouse out and my buddy threw it back in the cage before he became dinner..........LOL..........The Good Old Days...........Rich

18. catking

catking Banned

Just last night a woman in Cincinnati was bitten by one of her pet snakes. Seems it was a poison critter. She is is critical condition. ......... A few months ago a guy was bitten by a Gaboon Viper :eek: ............I said :eek: Never heard what happened to him. Probably not good........ CATKING

19. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Catfish I'de be interested in trying that out together. Let me look around yet and see what I can come up with. I've got plently of time to brain storm something. As of course, I would supply the beer :D

20. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Hey Fishman, I ,m in cincy too. I have a very nice cage and wood stand you are more than welcome to. I had a Python for years. Red wants the tank gone so if you want it let me know. Its custom made with wood screened top and real nice wood stand. It even has a heat rock. The top has locks. Will hold an 8 ft'r easy. LakeRaider :)