close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any know Chautauqua Lake area? NY

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CoolWater, Mar 31, 2008.

1. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

I will be in the area around Chautauqua Lake in early September and wondered if any OGF'ers were familar with it or other fishing opportunities close to Chautauqua County, New York.

Anything like fishing guides in the area, species available to target. I will be doing some google searches of course but always prefer first hand OGF info and experiences.

Thanks

LOL... the topic of this thread was meant to say "Anyone know Chautauqua Lake area?"

2. ....CoolWater... I haven't fished there for a few years......Always fished the North End ...North of the Route 17 Bridge....Stayed up at Mayville...Launched my boat at the Park Ramps...There are Muskies..S.Mouth ..Walleyes..Slab Crappies...Perch...Caught all of them... There is a Launch at Prendergast..
    Walleye fishing should be great in Sept....Perch should be comming on...as for that fish with a mouth full of teeth (Muskie).... you can expect her to hit about anytime...If you make it up ask at the bait stores they will be happy to help you out...If the Bait Pond is still open ...South of the Route 17 Exit Ramp....On the East side of the bridge...He is always full of good Info....I hope this helps a little I loved the Lake...
    :F GOOD FISHING GUY

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015

3. Awesome Lake. We usually go up once a year. We fish for bass, and there are some good ones there. If your fishing for bass, fish the weed edges and every dock you see. Largest last year was 6lbs. We kinda hit it at a bad time, it was windy as heck and boat control was difficult. There is a ton of vegetation, just flip it and you'll catch em'. Since your going in Sept, things could be different, never fished it in the fall. You may want to tie on some cranks to get the fall bite.

Good luck!

4. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Lakes Trail and X-Series go there for their championships every year. Always take 40#+ to win a 2 day tourny. Many 6# smallmouth brought to the scales
    This pic is from up there last fall.

[​IMG]

5. ....ncraft150....Nice fish I know there are a lot of big fish in there...As I said I love the lake....
    :F GOOD FISHING GUYS

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  6. Bassboy883

Bassboy883 Frog This

you can't go wrong with fishing docks, throw spinnerbaits and soft plastics. You could also try going out of Dunkirk on Lake Erie for some big smaillies

7. Just like all of these guys said , very good bass lake and some BIG smallmouth bass. For the smallmouth look for rock/gravel , get a map and try the "Warner's Bar" area , I've had good luck with a rapala skitter pop

8. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

There are NO FISH anywhere near Dunkirk. In fact, if you launch a boat there, it will sink. If you bank fish there you will fall in and vanish.

STAY AWAY IF YOU VALUE YOUR LIFE!!!

UFM82

Or not. ;)

9. Carpn

Carpn BOWFISHERMAN

Are there still good numbers of carp there? i know they had a virus wipe out a bunch of carp a few yrs ago and I was wondering if their pop. was back.

10. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

Thanks for the posts so far... I appreciate the help... will be continuing to watch this thread for any additional info. Looks like a neat lake to go out on.

I have yet to catch a Muskie for my life list... might try to do a guide for that specific species. I will have plenty of time to fish on my own as well so the bass fishing I will try to do solo. That's the basics of my plan so far... plenty of time yet to strategize.

Thanks again.

11. Straight north on Route 394, north of Westfield, is Barcelona harbor. Two miles out you'll find 120 feet of water and big walleye and trout lurking there in mid to late summer. A friend and I cleaned up there last year, mid-July. We had to filter through the 8-10lbers to get 12 eating fish under 5lbs.

12. Carpn

Carpn BOWFISHERMAN

Lotsa Pike there also...

13. Bassboy883

Bassboy883 Frog This

lol wow someone doesn't like anyone else knowing where to find big smallies. There are plenty of fish in dunkirk, if you go out and get a big one remember catch, photo, release. That 6-11 in my pic is still swimming around Lake Erie getting bigger for next time :)

14. Coolwater, check out this webboard http://www.mostlymuskies.com/reports.htm Capt Larry Jones is a guide on the lake.
    My friend and I have fished Capt Larry Jones' Pendergast Hatchery Tourney the last two years and it is a great time and all the money goes to the hatchery.