Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
FatMat
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope it doesn't sound dumb but wanted to know if the walleye are like steelies running up the river do they face the currant, or as they are heading east is that the way they are facing. When I fly fish I always shoot the bait up and bring it to them face 1st, in the lake when they are heading east are they normally facing east or are they facing the current or no to all. Thanks everyone...

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Normally, they face the current in a River so that they can catch food coming down with the current. They do change direction - it depends on where they want to go.

·
FatMat
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I am getting reports that they are out in Perry so maybe they are, odd because it seems Ashtabula than Connaught has only been hot for a few weeks now. I'll have to study the migration of walleye more.

·
161 Posts
I hope it doesn't sound dumb but wanted to know if the walleye are like steelies running up the river do they face the currant, or as they are heading east is that the way they are facing. When I fly fish I always shoot the bait up and bring it to them face 1st, in the lake when they are heading east are they normally facing east or are they facing the current or no to all. Thanks everyone...
I Dive in Erie and the current is at the surface. I've anchored and the paddle was going up 1 mph. You go down 10 or 15' and it's gone. I've dived on wrecks in 50' of water and there was no current. The fish swim in all directions.

·
Registered
736 Posts
That's pretty interesting Raylc. Curious on those days you dived what were the conditions like... Wind, wave hieght, etc?
I'm wondering if what I or others perceive as a thermocline on my fish finder is in fact what you've just mentioned.
Now, I've read and seen that when sustained winds in on direction for extended periods of time water will shift from one end or side of the lake to the other. One time I was out on the lake off Cleveland when the wind had been blowing from NW for days. I was hiding inside the break wall and when the wind layed down I headed out. When I came around the corner of the breakwall a 8 knot current pushed the boat to the side. That's a lot water moving. I'm not disagreeing with your observation but it would seem that the current couldn't possibly be just at the surface. I've heard and read discussions of the lake turning over. If I understand it correctly, when water is being pushed in one direction that the surface and below surface water will roll over. You'll be trolling in warm water and cross into cold. That would indicate current. And lastly water clarity... When you see drastic changes in water clarity. Ive not dived down but I don't think that it's only at the surface. That would also indicate current.

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,115 Posts
The current in Erie varies by location and depth at any given time based on a number of factors including wind, waves, water temps, etc... When I drop my FishHawk X4 into the water, I will see the current varying from top-to-bottom of the water column.

In rivers, fish will typically "sit" facing upstream waiting for the easy food. And they do indeed "swim" sideways by "fanning" in the current.

·
161 Posts
That's pretty interesting Raylc. Curious on those days you dived what were the conditions like... Wind, wave hieght, etc?
I'm wondering if what I or others perceive as a thermocline on my fish finder is in fact what you've just mentioned.
Now, I've read and seen that when sustained winds in on direction for extended periods of time water will shift from one end or side of the lake to the other. One time I was out on the lake off Cleveland when the wind had been blowing from NW for days. I was hiding inside the break wall and when the wind layed down I headed out. When I came around the corner of the breakwall a 8 knot current pushed the boat to the side. That's a lot water moving. I'm not disagreeing with your observation but it would seem that the current couldn't possibly be just at the surface. I've heard and read discussions of the lake turning over. If I understand it correctly, when water is being pushed in one direction that the surface and below surface water will roll over. You'll be trolling in warm water and cross into cold. That would indicate current. And lastly water clarity... When you see drastic changes in water clarity. Ive not dived down but I don't think that it's only at the surface. That would also indicate current.
When we were diving we Anchored, the current was traveling the same direction as the wind. When we got in the water I had to hold onto a rope to keep from being washed away. We had to weight the rope to make it stay in one place. Once we got down 10' or so we could let go and swim in any direction with no problem. When we got to the bottom if you stirred up the mud or silt it stayed there. Also Gobies don't swim well at all and they putt around where ever they please. As soon as they stop swimming they sink to the bottom and just sit there. I've hung suspended in the water watching something on the bottom and there was no current. The only place I've dived with a bottom current is a river.I've no doubt there are many places in lakes with current on the bottom, but I've not run into any at the bottom of Erie. Also I've found the water at the bottom to be very clear, it seems clear on the way down but it's almost like coming out of a cloud. Also I've never been able to see my boat below 40',not even a shadow.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,421 Posts
There is most definitely current in Erie, speed probes prove that. Also the fact that the lorain sandbar exists is also proof how do you think it was formed? I don't believe currents exist ALL over the lake but area's like Pt Pelee, Avon Point, around the islands, MI waters near Maumee River, Detroit River, Lorain Sandbar, and out deep in the central and eastern basin there is current without a doubt.

The areas you are diving it may not be conducive of solid tests, plus current may not be on the bottom it maybe in the middle of the water column which is probably more than likely the case and with you being a human probably weighing 150 or more how would you feel the current, the currents we see on our speed probes are a difference of .2-.5 mph a heavy dive rope wouldn't move at times especially if only a small portion of the water column has current. The currents are subtle but they are there.

The surface currents are crazy, last week I was off Avon I was trolling 2.4 mph I turned my boat and was going 1.0 and didn't even touch my terrova or kicker motor, my motor even made an audible change in sound.

Does't even make me wonder I've been watching this map the currents off Avon are extremely strong. http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/currents/

Fish follow these current. (I know I'm referring to surface here) but fishing the area and lorain I know by trolling direction sub currents exist as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts