Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 22 year old A/C unit crapped out. Lost its freon. Need to replace the A/C unit. Current furnace / AC units are Trane. Approximately 22 years old. Located in Chesterland OH 44026. Eastside of Cleveland.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
My 22 year old A/C unit crapped out. Lost its freon. Need to replace the A/C unit. Current furnace / AC units are Trane. Approximately 22 years old. Located in Chesterland OH 44026. Eastside of Cleveland.
We are in the same boat Snake, mine is 22 yrs old and very low on freon. Guy said it has a leak, but these use the old Freon, which is very expensive. Being told if you replace the 22 yr old A/C, might as well replace the 22 yr old heater too....$6,000 for both??????

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are in the same boat Snake, mine is 22 yrs old and very low on freon. Guy said it has a leak, but these use the old Freon, which is very expensive. Being told if you replace the 22 yr old A/C, might as well replace the 22 yr old heater too....$6,000 for both??????
Yea, I'm waiting to get the quote. Service guy said it might be $6,000 too...It was going to be $222 for the 1st pound and $149 for each additional pound ( I need 5 more) so total of $967 and it might leak out in the next week.

Costco has a deal on Lennox. 10% back on a Costco Card. Our Trane has been pretty carefree both for AC and heating. Have you got a quote yet?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Following. Mine is 21yr old furnace and 12yr old condenser... I was looking at ths Goodman package.... Furnace, ac, and air handled online for 3500.00. Can't cost more than 1500 to install...have to find someone who can do it and honor warranty. All articles I ready stated that the high end Seer, don't be fooled... Not worth all the money. What was the lennox at Costco cost?

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
We just replaced our heat pump/ac unit. It was 24 years old. Went with another Trane. It was trouble free for all those years so I figured we would try it again. Good luck in your search.

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We just replaced our heat pump/ac unit. It was 24 years old. Went with another Trane. It was trouble free for all those years so I figured we would try it again. Good luck in your search.
I had to replace a board once and a blower motor once. Not bad for 22 years. So Trane is the leader right now.

Reactions: ress and bobk

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Following. Mine is 21yr old furnace and 12yr old condenser... I was looking at ths Goodman package.... Furnace, ac, and air handled online for 3500.00. Can't cost more than 1500 to install...have to find someone who can do it and honor warranty. All articles I ready stated that the high end Seer, don't be fooled... Not worth all the money. What was the lennox at Costco cost?
I called and am waiting for the appt to give me a price. Approx. 2800 SF to heat/cool 2 story. Must be gas heat..

Reactions: ress

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I was told by a repairman to stay away from Goodmans a few years ago when I replaced my heat pump so I replaced with the same brand I had since it gave me good service till the reversing valve stuck sine it was about 16 yrs old and the cost to fix it I replaced its a Nordyne Miller heat pump anyway that's what I was told to stay away from Goodman so I don't know how good they are

·
Banned
6,703 Posts
My place is about 2400 sq ft and the best Trane AC/Heat installed 5 yrs ago was nearly 8k. It blows the curtains in the upstairs bedrooms!

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Can't speak for longevity, but I had a Goodman system installed on my old house back in 2012. Was more efficient than the old system so bills went down about 30% and it ran trouble free until summer of 2015 when I sold the home and moved. New home has Lennox system and it has worked great.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Can't speak for longevity, but I had a Goodman system installed on my old house back in 2012. Was more efficient than the old system so bills went down about 30% and it ran trouble free until summer of 2015 when I sold the home and moved. New home has Lennox system and it has worked great.
Do you remember who installed your system in 2013? I know that seems like forever ago

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Yea, I'm waiting to get the quote. Service guy said it might be $6,000 too...It was going to be $222 for the 1st pound and $149 for each additional pound ( I need 5 more) so total of $967 and it might leak out in the next week.

Costco has a deal on Lennox. 10% back on a Costco Card. Our Trane has been pretty carefree both for AC and heating. Have you got a quote yet?
Yes, they said $6000 for ac and heater

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
What brand? Gas or electric?
Gas, don’t know brand but Buds heating and electric is the company. I am going to hold off because as off now, the ac is working. And they say grab the condenser line, if it is cold and moist, there still is enough Freon in there to work. That $6,000 makes me crap right now,,,,lol

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
Went through this a few years ago. Seemed ridiculous to spend thousands of dollars for something relatively minor. Ended up buying two window units for a total of $600. They'll freeze you out of the house, no change in electric bill.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts