close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any Home Canners in the House?

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by hardwaterfan, Jul 29, 2004.

1. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

Do any of you home canners know of any complete home canning supply outlets?

I can scrounge up a few sizes and styles of jars here or there. Find a utensil or two here or there.

But what I am looking for (if it exists) is a place that sells every size and shape of Ball jar, Mason jar, all the utensils, and especially premade canning spices such as pickling salt, pickle crisp, and all of the Mrs. Wages products.

The closest I have found to this is Lehmans hardware in kidron. Great place, but too far to run too very often.

Anyone know of ANY others? Even if far from Cleveland, may be worth a day trip.

Thanks for any information or advice.

By the way, just canned some pickles. Had to settle for Ball bread and butter, though, cause I couldnt find any dill mix. :(

Another thing, anyone know of any killer salsa recipies? I mean HOT salsa. Burning hot. Ive got onions and a lot of jalapenos and hungarian hot wax peppers busting out in the garden, just waiting for the tomatoes to redden.

Good gardening.

2. I know Giant Eagle has a lot of stuff. I don't do any of my own canning, so I never took a very close look at the display, but it has a lot of jars and other stuff on it. This is the Giant Eaglein Strongsville, I don't know if they're all the same. I can take a closer look for you next time I'm in the store if you want.
    LaDo

3. Hey George, Here's a KILLER garlic dill pickle recipe for you...probably kosher too. It came from and old Jewish guy my parents knew like 35 years ago.

In a quart jar ( I like the wide mouths)
    3 cloves garlic
    1 tablespoon pickling salt
    1 tablespoon pickling spices (Mr.Bulky's across the street from Home depot in the Falls by Chapel Hill has the best price).
    3 sprigs of fresh dill the length of the jar.

fill jar with small fresh pickling cukes
    add water to within 1/2" of the top of the jar. Distilled water is best. Some well/spring water can contain minerals which might discolor the pickles and/or can contain bacteria which will sour the brine....don't use city water, the chlorine can prevent the fermentation process from occuring.

if you want a little kick to your pickles...add 3 dried chili peppers

screw lid on finger tight....not to tight.
    shake the jar to dissolve the salt...let the jar rest for a minute and check for salt on the bottom. If salt is present, shake again.

set the jars in a baking dish on the kitchen counter or someplace where the temperature is in the 70's. Leave then there for a week. Check 1 pickle by cutting it in half, if there is any white...leave them there for a couple of more days, if there done, put them in the fridge.

These are fermented pickles and do not need to be hot processed and are the best garlic dills you will ever eat.

4. hardwaterfan

LaDo, thanks kindly for the offer. I havent had much luck in the grocery stores but I am on the lookout for Mrs. Wages products.

Frog, I will definitely try that recipe. Sounds real good, thanks a lot for sharing. Should have another crop to make at least a few jars in a few weeks.

5. hardwaterfan

If anyones interested, Ball has a decent line up at the WalMart on rt. 43 accross from Geauga Lake Park in Aurora. It was by far the most stuff Ive seen around here so far (in one place). Although it still wasnt all that great. Lots of jar sizes, some Ball prepackaged canning spices (pickles, salsa)

And here is an email I got from Mrs. Wages:

Thank you for contacting Precision Foods, Inc.

"We are sorry that you are having difficulty finding our products in your area. We distribute through all the mainline distributors such as a limited number of Kroger's, Winn Dixie, Publix Supermarkets, Super Wal-Mart, Piggly Wiggly, Albertson's, etc. However, if none of these stores are available to you, your best bet would be to order on-line at www.mrswages.com"

Piggly Wiggly? :confused:

And Ball hasnt returned my email.

6. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

here are a few i like all of them can be made as hot as you want and just increase or cut the recipie as needed......

2 large whole tomatos blend chunky
    3-4 cloves of garlic chopped
    handfull of fresh celantro choped
    1 or 2 jalapeno choped
    add salt to your taste
    lime juice 6-8 tbl spoon
    lemon pepper
    1/2 onion choped

1 cup diced tomato (peeled)
    1 tbsp minced onion
    1 tbsp minced sweet pepper
    1/4 of a jalapeno pepper minced
    1 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped fine
    2 oz of tomato juice
    juice from1/4 lemon,1/4 lime,1/4 orange wedges
    1 pinch cumin
    one splash tobasco
    salt to taste

hope that gets you started........jim

7. Hey fishinful...what the heck kinda pickles do you call those :eek: :eek: you forgot to tell us when to put the cukes in

I'd like to find some gallon jars....now as yuns all kno, I aint no geenieass, but i'm gessin that i'd git twice as many pickles in a gallon jar than in a kwort jar :D :D :D

8. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

hardwaterfan wanted salsa recipies also to put some of his peppers in to i want to try that pickle thing are their a special kind of plant that you get them from or are they just early picked cucumbers i havent delt with that before can you do the same thing to pickle peppers???????.........thanks jim

9. Tis the season

Yep...there's a special pickling cucumber that stays small. Most farm makets have 'em NOW so don't waite to long to make 'em. I haven't tried pickling peppers with thaty recipe, but it might be worth a shot....probably let 'em ferment for 2 weeks then check 'em. The pickles will continue to pickle in the fridge, but at a much slower rate. I had a HOT pickle the other day and it was 5 times hotter than when I first put the jar in the fridge...so maybe cut down on the chili's to 1 or 2....unless you like stuff "stupid" hot. If you guys have any questions about my recipe, just ask

10. hardwaterfan

excellent....good to see some people are into this sorta thing. For me this is my third year of being blessed with a little land to have a garden, and the third season to can stuff. Making your own food is truly satisfying.

If anyone has ever thought about trying it, I encourage you to do it! its not that hard. The Ball Blue Book is like 5 bucks and it is a good start to learn how. And Ive gotten all kinds of canning books from the library too.

fishinful, thanks very much for the recipes, I will save them and try them out.

I am STILL waiting for a red tomato. Plenty of green ones, though.

And Ive got some cukes coming with "stupid hot" written all over them. ;)

11. hardwaterfan

Heres a good one, from an old guy from orrville named John i worked with. It is a modified mustard that is real zippy but not too hot. I love it with chicken strips. I used hungarian hot peppers. They were fairly hot. And they were colored red and orange, so that gave the finished product some nice color. One thing, when I made it, the flour/water mixture "curdled" into dumplings. :rolleyes: I must have done something wrong.

I chopped up the peppers in a food processer fairly finely but not too much. I dont think I removed any seeds.

I gave a few jars away and just about everyone wanted more....a guy I work with actually asked if he could buy some.

It made about a dozen 12oz. jars.

PEPPER BUTTER

36 peppers
    4 cups mustard (regular yellow)
    1 quart white vinegar
    4½-5 cups sugar

White Sauce

1 pint cold water
    1½ cups flour

Stir cold water into flour

Remove seeds from all but 7 peppers.

Add all ingredients (except white sauce) into large stock pot.

Bring to a boil and simmer 30 minutes.

Add white sauce, bring to boil.

Remove from heat and put in jars.

12. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

The Andersons General store has a large selection of supplies and mixes. My brother made killer salsa and he used Mrs Wagas mix. I used to can a lot of stuff but it requires time and effort. Good luck!

13. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

I guess it must be a thing of what one is use to! IMHO you'll never...ever...get a "Burning hot Salsa" using Jalapeno's and/or Hungarian wax peppers. If you have the need for burning hot, next year try some "Habanero" seeds or young plants...heck you can even find them now in most grocery stores. Those puppies will definately kick things up quite a bit. :D
    Here's a good pepper sauce recipe...(or is it a formula) :D

1/2 lb. Fresh Habanero peppers
    1/2 lb. Fresh Jalapeno peppers
    1-Medium onion (white)
    1-Tablespoon crushed allspice (dried pimiento)
    1-Tablespoon sugar
    1-Teaspoon salt (table)
    2-Teaspoon cider vinegar

Remove stems for peppers and wash and cut length-wise.
    Blend all ingredients in food processor until finely chopped.
    Pour mixture into clean jars with lids snugly tighten.
    Place jars outside in direct sunlight for 6-8 hours.

The sauce will only keep for about six months since there's no large amount of preservative. It should be stored in a cool place or refrigerated.

14. hardwaterfan

Andersons....thanks, Ill check that out!

HnB, your right about "what youre used to". Some people say "I dont like it hot"....as if there were only two choices, either "hot" or "not hot". Theres so much more to it than that.

Good idea on the habs...ive been thinking about trying some but didnt see any hab seeds for sale this year. Next year Ill go out of my way to get some if i have to.

15. hardwaterfan

Its nice to go the back yard for most of the ingredients.

Attached Files:

16. hardwaterfan

smells even better than it looks

Attached Files:

17. hardwaterfan

getting prepared to can

Attached Files:

18. hardwaterfan

more salsa than any normal person could want :D

plenty to share with my test subjects.....uh i mean family and friends! :eek:

Thanks again for the input on this subject. This is actually the third batch Ive made so far in the past few weeks. Ive been tweaking the recipe every time.

Todays recipe:

12 cups finely chopped tomato
    5 cups finely chopped hungarian peppers
    5 cups finely chopped onion
    5 cups finely chopped jalepeno pepper w/seeds
    1.5 cups vinegar
    16 finely chopped garlic cloves
    3 tablespoons of cilantro
    approx. 1/8 th cup of canning salt
    splash of lime juice
    big dash of sugar

Mix everything in a big pot. Boil and simmer for at least 30 minutes. Process in jars for 15 minutes.

So far my test subjects report a tasty salsa with a nice creeping burn. They are at the door trying to barter for more. My neighbor brought me chili already. :)

Attached Files:

19. hardwaterfan

Just to let you interested people know, the pepper butter recipe Ive mentioned above is KILLER! I havent made it in 2 years so i kinda forgot how good it is. Its sweet, hot, and mustardy all at once and is SO good on chicken strips.

Heres a pic of a spoonful so youll get the idea.

Instead of "36 peppers" I used about 28 hungarian peppers and about 16 jalepenos.

If you try to make it, the white sauce part is tricky. My wife had an idea because the first time I made it i got dumplings. She put it in a big plastic container and shook it so the flour sort of dissolved first. Then she poured it in through a strainer.

Happy canning. :)

Attached Files: