close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

any home brewers out there?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by willy, Mar 8, 2008.

1. willy

willy no boat

Just curious, stuck in the house and was doing some reading online, seems like it might be an intersting hobby but a bit of an investment to get started.

2. A buddy of mine is a master at this. He was stationed in Europe for several years and acquired the taste for "real" beer. He cooks up some real nice brews. He has one last summer that was in the 12% range.

3. I really want to try this sometime. Im thinking about picking up one of those mr beer kits at bed bath and beyond to get my feet wet.

If you have tivo look into the show "good eats" on the food network. Its a cooking show that breaks things down scientifically and the host Alton Brown did a show on micro brews and covered ales and lagers. I would guess my first attempt will be a lager, seems alot easier.

4. Gone Fission

Gone Fission Ancient Member

willy,

I home brew and it is a great hobby. Like IndianEyeKiller implied I hope you like "real" beer (no offense to Bud or Miller drinkers). I live near Cincinnati and we have a few homebrew suppliers near. You can get all the equipment you need for around $100. You can also get ingredient kits for around $20-30. These kits make it simple to make a good brew (I prefer the pale ales). If you consider brewing your own my biggest piece of advice to keep everything CLEAN. I have ruined more than one batch by contamination.

Good luck

5. I just watched a 4 part video on youtube called home brewing made easy. It made it look easier then I thought. I may have to try this sooner then planned.

Gone Fission, what do you mean by "real" beer. Do you consider sam adams or killians a "real" beer. If Im just drinking to get obliterated, Ill drink coors light but if I want to enjoy what im drinking, its sam adams or killians.

6. Kennedy, Your located in canton, theres a great place in akron
    called the Grape and Granery. They have a great killians clone
    recipe. If your looking for beer with a taste then home brewing
    is for you. If your looking to make beer cheaper than you can
    buy, forget it. For the home brewer you should stick to ales to
    begin with. Lagers should be done in a controlled environment,
    allthough there are some forgiving yeast strains that will allow
    you to brew lagers. Its not that hard. Just be prepared to spend
    atleast a half day for the brewing, sanatizing and racking. Then the
    same for bottling. I get about 48 bottles for a 5 gal batch.

7. Awsome thanks! I will be brewing for taste, because buying taste is expensive!

8. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

I have brewed beer. Not for about 2 years now, but I would highly recommend the Grape and Granery in the Akron area. They also put on brew classes. Check them out.

flash-------------------------------out

9. cw261

cw261 Member

10. The One

The One Ret. 1SG U.S. Army

I am a home brew tester if anyone is interested in sharing

11. I brew all grain brews but haven't for about 3 years. Just can't seem to find the time. I use kegs to avoid bottling. I wouldn't recommend Mr. Beer. It may ruin your experience. The Grape & Granary is excellent and so are their classes. They have some very good simple extract recipes you could try out.

12. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

I home brew. I recently started and I have about 5 batches under my belt. I just bottled up a stout last night. Next up is a hefewizen, it should be ready to drink right when its starting to get warm (finally).

I would agree with MadMac and avoid the Mr. Beer kit, you will end up wanting to upgrade soon anyway.

Also, I would suggest starting with an ale, as the fermentation temps are a little more easy to control than lagers. Unless you have a basement that stays around 50-55 degrees constantly, that is.

Feel free to ask any questions and I will try and help you out with my limited knowledge.

13. Ditto on the MR Beer kit, wife bought me one for X-Mas about 10 yrs ago, 1st batch came out great but then I had problems, plastic keg comes in 2 pieces with a plastic gasket that clamps in between. On my 2nd attempt the gasket began to leak, the the tap and co2 cartridges screwed up on me. Aguy I knew at work was a pretty accomplished home brewer, made some great stuff. My opinion, if done right its the best beer you"ll ever drink. Now that I"ve read this thread you guys got me thinking, gonna check the web and might try again with a better brew kit. CHEERS

14. Byg

Byg

I have a mr beer, bought it for like 10$ on clearance. So I gave it a try. I have made three batches so far and all have been excellant. It does leave a somewhat creative void though,because all the ingrediants has been done for you. I found three different malts on clearance for 6$ so I guess Ill stick w/it for awhile. Keeping the items all sterile is a big part of it..Otherwise the beer is pretty good. I use the flip top bottles in 1 liter size, easier than capping I think.

15. it is extremely easy to do a simple malt extract brew in your kitchen. you'll have a minimal investment on some pots, tools, ingredients, etc. but you don't have to break the bank!
    start out simple....liquid malt extract, yeast smack pack, hops. get a good book to give you instruction and insight on what is happening during the process. homebrewing for dummies is ok, i recommend dave miller's homebrewing guide and also john palmers? how to brew guide which is free on the internet.
    the most important thing to remember is sanitation! this is the difference between getting beer or not.
    join a homebrew forum to post questions and get answers from people who know. i second the grape and granery if its near you. there are other places to get ingredients around cleveland in strongsville, westlake, northfield/macedonia, etc...

homebrewers love to talk their craft so don't be afraid to ask.

16. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

The old ladys girlfriends husband makes his own, grows his own hops, the 9 yards, and makes some fanastic dark beer.

17. Have you tried The Brew Kettle In Strongsville? BREWKETTLE(Chris) on the site, sells supplies and makes his own beer for the restraunt. Top Notch guy

18. I make 10 to 12 gallon batches of ale in my garage in a converted 1/2 keg. It turns out great. I like the IPA's. Seaturd would attest to the quality of my ales if he could ever quit knitting lingerie and get a permission slip for a visit.

I also recommend Grape and Grainery in Akron or similar homebrew shop to get your starter equipment. The items for getting started are: the brew pot (5 gallon is ideal, 16 quart will suffice at first), 7 gallon primary fermentation bucket with lid+airlock, 5 gallon glass carboy with airlock for secondary fermentation, bottling bucket with valve+fill tube/spring valve, siphon tube, 3 cases of 12 oz bottles, caps, thermometer, hydrometer (optional for beginner), iodine cleaner, brushes, bottle capper, big stir spoon, hops, malt extract syrup, water, and motivation. I would guess that your first brew with above equipment and ingredients for one batch would take you between $150 and $200 less the brew pot. The Grape and Granary guys will go out of their way to get you started.

Buy a beginner homebrewing book to get jump started. Happy brewing.