Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just found out within the last couple of days that the maumee river holds flatheads. I havent ever even seen the river yet. Mosquito lake I have been to once. Right by the causeway. West branch been to twice. But still have no clue where to even start. I do like the lake but i need to invest in a bigger boat. I have a small boat with trolling motor only. I fish the grand river but for the last 6 years only for steelhead. Muskie is at the top of my wish list. I hope you all seen that wish list. But a northern would be great even a walleye . I havent ever caught anything with teeth. I know sad:(. And I am trying. And it even gets better. I never even seen one alive and not on the wall. I didnt know about smallmouth fishing in the rivers till 3 weeks ago. So never really looked into them. I only like to use lures just means more to me unless flathead fishing. But I am from south Tennessee where big blues and flathead,big largemouth bass, big stripers. Is a stone throw away. Any help on where to start at with any of the lakes around. And plz dont be a smart a** I deal with it 10 hrs a day 6 days a week I dont have alot of time but when I get off at 2am or stay up to try some more or sunday when I get up before my family and get home shortly after they get up. God , Family , Work

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
If you live in N W Ohio and want to catch musky and pike your best bet is to buy a Michigan licence . Hudson Lake is full of musky Head out to Fayette and hang a right Hudson is about 10 miles north The Irish Hills have lakes with pike Wamplers and Devils are good Alot of pike in Vineyard, but mostly small ones Hudson is perfect for small boats No wake limit lake wide I believe Wamplers and Devils would be spring and fall only Vineyards not bad tho The Allen lake chain has some pike and not alot of boaters You can get killed on Wamplers in a little boat in the summer
Expensive tho Mich gigs you about 75 bucks for a non resident and then you have to buy a park pass for at least 30 to get in alot of the lakes Wamplers and Hudson being two of them For that reason I havent been up there for a couple years
Walleye and Saugeye in most of the upgrounds in NW Ohio This forum is full of talk on that
Depends on where you live Night fishing the Lake Erie piers for Walleye will kick in soon That can be a hit or miss shot on this end of the lake Have to put your time in

·
Registered
393 Posts
If you want to find some flathead try up by the dam in Grand Rapids Ohio. You can find muskie in Clear Fork Reservoir in Mansfield Ohio. If you go into Michigan just across the line you have Hudson lake and Lake Diane. Both have good muskie populations. Devils lake does have a good pike population too! Fish from shore, maybe consider Kent Lake up in Kensington Park. If you want to just do some shore hoping. Maumee Bay State Park has some good largemouth in their ponds. I believe the one by the big hill is just for kids now. I've even caught walleye out of the big pond. McKarns and Barton Lake near Montpelier have nice largemouth and occasion Pike in them. Good shoreline lakes as well. Hope it gives you a few ideas.
tight lines

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
If you want to find some flathead try up by the dam in Grand Rapids Ohio. You can find muskie in Clear Fork Reservoir in Mansfield Ohio. If you go into Michigan just across the line you have Hudson lake and Lake Diane. Both have good muskie populations. Devils lake does have a good pike population too! Fish from shore, maybe consider Kent Lake up in Kensington Park. If you want to just do some shore hoping. Maumee Bay State Park has some good largemouth in their ponds. I believe the one by the big hill is just for kids now. I've even caught walleye out of the big pond. McKarns and Barton Lake near Montpelier have nice largemouth and occasion Pike in them. Good shoreline lakes as well. Hope it gives you a few ideas.
tight lines
Good stuff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts