close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any help available???

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by JUSTCRAZY, May 6, 2004.

1. JUSTCRAZY

JUSTCRAZY Wurlds Wurst Spellor

I am heading to Pymatuming lake for the first time ever to do some camping/fishing. Anyone willing to provide some helpful hints on where I might be able to find some fish and what kinds. (Before Corey says you find the fish in the water, I have to say that is the extent of what I know)
    I know the lake holds musky, carp, crappie, and wet socks(What Gator calls walleye), but how is the population of cat fish, bass, etc. Are there Flatheads? I will fish for anything so any help would be great.

Any help would be appreciated. If you would rather send a PM, I am all ears.

Thanks,
    Rob

2. i am all ears.... they should call you dumbo then!!!!!!!!!

3. Corey

Corey OGF Team-Charter Member

We DO call him Dumbo, but not because of his ears...although from the back, he does look kinda like a '53 Chevy with the doors open.

4. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

bass fishing is pretty good. there are catfish, mostly channels. No flatheads. Carp are the easiest to catch, all you need is some bread. there are also quite a few pech and gills. Just fish the lake like you would any other, the structure is pretty obvious, especially in a boat with the fishfinder. farther south you go the shallower it gets.

5. JUSTCRAZY

Thanks johnboy! I guess I will try her out.

As for the peanut gallery. Hey I resemble those remarks!!!!!!!!!

6. Worm Drowner

Worm Drowner Banned

Pymatuning is very underrated for bass. You can find a local map of the lake which has areas to try for various species. Also, you might ask JVolpe over at www.ohfishing.com about various species and places in the lake. He is an avid Pymatuning angler. All I ever fish for there is muskie.

7. I only fish the lake in july or early august. We camp at the ohio state park. Directly out form the state park is an island. On the east side of this island is a chanel that drops off from about 14' to 23' and i see alto of guys drifitng for walleye that time of year. I have never caught one though but i did once catch a muskie. It is best to go around the island to the nourth becasue at most water levels there is a sand bar from the se corner of the island that runs all they way to the point. This sand bar is a prop eater. Any way if you go around the isalnd to the nourth and then head down the lake to the sounth there another set of islands. Also be carefull here becase a rock pile rises up around them. I have caught bass around them mostly on the main lake side. I usually do not get skunked in this spot. The isalnds are on the west side of the lake. Also further down the lake to the south there are some rock piles that may still be marked with a bouy. Sorry i am a realy bad speller and they do not have spell check on this thing. Also on the north side of the cause way there is a stump in about 12 feet of water if i remeber corectly. I only made the journey down there once. If you do head north from the ohio state park there is another island on the west side of the lake that i have caught a few bass on. its about half way to the causway. hope this helped.
    jim

8. catking

catking Banned

The places chancybear are talkin about do produce some nice fish. We got into a bunch of smallmouths once up there. The large mouth fishin can be awsome, both in size and numbers. The walleye fishin is pretty good also. I love this lake.very nice area. CATKING

9. catking

catking Banned

Look at the map of this lake and if you can hit the sunken island down on the Penn. side ;) CATKING

10. I've only fished Pyma a handful of times and always in early-mid spring, except for a few ice trips. I always put in at Birch's landing, at least I think that's the name, went out to the middle and trolled Tots. Always caught walleyes and a few crappie except for one trip about 5 years ago. It was the first or second Sat. of April and it was flat with no suspended fish. While anchoring over a large brush pile I sunk the boat and dern near drowned, (don't ask). Only caught hypothermia on that trip.

11. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

i would really like to hear that story.....glad you are ok. Oh yeah, pymatuning is called the hot-n-tot capital of the world for a reason. and fyi...flat line trolling tots they will reach 15ft. Silver is always a hot color up there.

12. JUSTCRAZY

Thanks guys, I can't wait to get there Friday night. I will have to start with cat fish and work my way into the gills, bass, and if I were really lucky a musky or 5 would make my day. I'll let you know how I do.

Rob
    As for the spelling, I never noticed anything wrong. Bu then again I am probably the worlds WEEERRRRST SPELLLOR! Right dad!

13. sauguy

sauguy river & muskie angler, dayhiker

gold black back and chart. hot-n-tots are also good. you should also get some walleyes drifting with crawlers.

14. Ducknut

Ducknut Duck Enemy #1

I am sorry to say, that all this advice is wasted on Justcrazy. He couldnt catch a fish if it were already tied up in a livewell....

As for the all ears comment, he isnt literally all ears. Just 90% ears....