close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any handgun hunters?

Discussion in 'Guns and Ammo' started by H2O Mellon, Aug 26, 2004.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I'll be using my Ruger .454 equipped w/ a Burris 1.5-3 power scope.

My ammo of choice is 240 grain Winchester Silvertip, I ahve used 300 grain Hornaday, but found out that it goes straight through w/ out mushrooming.

My dad just got a real nice Thompson Center .45-70 that he'll be using. The gun doesnt come w/ sights (scope only) so he sent it to Thompson Center & they put a real nice set of sights on. The total cost was only $40.

2. sweet... i need to start playin at your house more often.lol

3. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I dont deer hunt with handguns..However since fishing has been so poor I am going to hunt this fall..Starting with squirrel season..I also have the first two days of deer gun season off..Maybe we can get together Bryan?

4. Carpn

Carpn BOWFISHERMAN

I use a Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 10.5" barrel. I use 240 Grain Hollowpoint. Took one with it last yr.

5. Goes from year to year for me,if I do use a handgun it is my Taurus 480 :eek:

6. H2O Mellon, how have you liked your Ruger .454? I fell in love with the Freedom Arms .454 Casull years ago, but I just can't justify the $1400, seeing how I seldom gun hunt. If I ever do decide to by a hunting handgun, the Ruger .454 may be it.

7. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

8. H2O Mellon

I really like my Ruger. It can be a bit much to handle w/ the 300 grain, but isnt bad w/ the 240.

I tell ya decen gun, I knwo a guy that bought a Magnum Research .45-70 revovler! Bubba, you've seen it havent you? (Butch's gun)

9. good lord that thing is a hog leg lol. i think i`m gonna try to go and get one with the 243 this year ...maybe!

10. I use a T/C Contender .44 Mag 300 gr. XTP w/ 21.2 gr. of H110. Have taken many deer with my T/C great to see other handgunners out there.
    Mike

11. I have always thought about it. What does anyone have to say about the effectiveness of a .357mag? Currently that is the only handgun I have that is legal for deer here in Ohio. I have yet to experiment with any hunting loads for it, and quite frankly need more range time in before I get serious about it.

:D OR...will I just have to buy a new handgun?

12. H2O Mellon

My dad got a nice 10 pt several years ago w/ his. 110 yards using Black Talons.

** Before anyone says anything, I DO NOT recomend using any hand gun & trying a 100 yard shot. He was lucky plain & simple **

13. Smith&Wesson model 29 with a 8 3/8" barrel...factory scope mounts with a 4X Leupold...then a Smith&Wesson model 586 with a 8 3/8" barrel..factory scope mounts and a 4X Burris...or a Smith&Wesson 25-5 with a 8 3/8" barrel..open sighted, 44 Mag, 357 Mag and 45LC respectively...sold a Smith&Wesson 657 Classic Hunter 41 Mag about a year back.

14. Any of you guys see a Leinad 410/45LC double barrel pistol ? 11 inch barrels. Can you use it for deer season in Ohio ?...........Thanks.......Rich

15. Sorry I havent seen one...not really familiar with that model.

16. H2O Mellon

Well I mounted my Burris 2X scope on my Ruger .454 Sunday. Straight out of the box the scope was 3 inches to the left of the bullseye @ 25 yards, probally had more to do w/ luck that anything else.

The bad thing is that it doesnt look like I'll be getting any time other than the last 2 days (maybe) of gun season off. So I'll have to use the cross bow.