close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

any good info

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by MEISTERICS, Feb 26, 2008.

1. so after all this nonsense, does anyone have any good info to offer. and NO a boga grip is not good for release. lipping the fish(while in the water is ok but i would wear a glove). Teeth are sharp. and do not lift it out of the water this way.

So now yet another post had been locked. How about we have some good info on how to release.

If this were the TSS 5 of 10 people would have given good info. the last 5 would have argued or said something ignorant. The last 2 days the OGF members have given almost nill! Lets show what good the site has to offer.

EVERYONE has seemed to have missed the point of all the frustration. Why let an animal go if its dead anyway. Its about wasting life. The man who mishandled the fish could use some good info and i am sure would be willing to take it. His intentions were ment well. now lets help him out. his release rate will surely increase.

I will start. AGAIN!

1. dont grab a fish that is intended to be released by the gill plate!

No who will offer more good info!

2. ok how about (and i am being dead serious here) you provide some sources for the claims that "gilling fish" between the gill plate and the gills WILL lead to death, "lipping" fish will also cause possible death, and that netting or wiping the slime off of them will again cause potential death. again i am dead serious here and this is a completely legitimet question that i truly would like to see an answer to. now here is your chance to make this site as good (not my feelings) as TSS.

3. I never wanted thing to get out of hand over this like i said i am new to steelhead fishing and have learned from my mistakes. I let go most of the fish i get only keeping the ones i need for eggs being that is what i like to use for bait.

I'm really not to sure what the best way to release them are with out any harm being that i like to take pics of them first. I would like to learn the best way to handel them without causing harm

4. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh Senior Member

Try the rubber coated landing nets and leave them in the water as much as possible remove hook. Then cradle under the fish get your picture quick and put him/her back in the water.
    To revive them is also important. Move the fish back and forth in the water to move water through its gills and let it swim away on its own.
    Im no expert but his seems to work.
    Hope to see ya on the river!----------josh

5. if you can tail them then thats a nice option though i have not been blessed with that skill myself. if you are by a sandy bank just simply drag them up about halfway from the water or whatever it takes to keep them from flopping back in right away. remove the hook, cradle the fish and hold him underwater till he swims away. good to go and something tells me he won't be cursing you for stealing his slime either.....

btw, no prob with being new at the game and wanting to learn. one thing you must realize with steelhead fishing. there are a TON of "purists" out there. some are really good guys and some want nothing more than to critique ones every move. looks like you are off to a good start man keep at it, they can be a lot of fun!

6. From the State of Minnesota DNR:

Handling and Photographing a Fish
    • Keep fish in the water as much as possible to minimize air exposure.
    • Never place your fingers through gills or in the eyes.
    • Don’t hold heavy fish by the jaw as this may damage the jaw and vertebrae.
    • Hold large fish horizontally and support its body to avoid damage to the internal organs.
    • Use wet hands or wet cloth gloves to handle the fish.
    • Have camera ready prior to landing fish to minimize air exposure.
    • If possible, photograph the fish while in water.
    Unhooking a Fish
    • Have longnose pliers available to back the hook out.
    • Remove the hook quickly, keeping the fish underwater.
    • If the fish is deeply hooked, cut the line and release the fish as quickly as possible.
    • Avoid using stainless steel hooks as they take longer to corrode if left in the fish.

From the Sate of Utah DNR:

Use nets whenever possible to AVOID UNNECESSARY CONTACT WITH
    THE FISH, but never grasp the fish through the net. If you must handle the
    fish, be sure to moisten hands beforehand. Never squeeze the body or eye sockets, touch the gills, or lay the fish on the ground.

A simple Google of "proper catch and release of trout" will turn up thousands of sites. I did not see any that advocated placing fingers in gills or gill plates but I only looked at about six.

Hoped this helped.

7. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

This taken from a web page for the Fisheries Service of the Maryland DNR, one of the first catch & release search results returned...

"...Instead they should be used to control the head of fish and not as a lifting device. Lifting fish by the popular hand lip grip so often seen can cause damage to the jaw muscles and joints of any fish. Never hold fish up by putting your hand in the gills if they are going to be released. If posing for a picture of your catch try to cradle the fish with two hands to support the fish better. Fish grow and live in a relatively weightless environment supported by the surrounding water. They are not used to the strains associated with being out of the water. Have the camera handy and make sure the photographer..."

I could go to countless other sites that have catch & release tips that would echo the same sentiment.

I want to point out that just because I agree you shouldn't hold fish a certain way if you want a better chance for a healthy release DOES NOT mean I support the way some people have chosen to voice their opinions on this topic. I'm not sure what's in the air or water but it seems these threads go hostile rather quickly and easily lately.

8. gsteel

gsteel Banned

I have no actual facts but just use common sense. Would you want to be lifted by your head or by your shoulders with some support for your bottom half? AKA Dont lift by head or gills. Would you go to a dentist that does all his work with your head under water? AKA Keep fish in water. If you were drunk would you want somebody to push you out on I90 or a sidewalk on a side street? AKA Dont release a fish in fast water.

To add to what 1legjosh sais I dont agree with moving the fish back and forth to push water through thier gills. Instead, gently and slowly wag the tail
    like in a swimming motion. When you move them back and forth you can disorient them more than you already have.

In conclusion treat them the way you would like to be treated.

9. please also note that these are NOT trout we are discussing but rather a much hardier lake run version of the rainbow trout able to with stand a much harsher environment.

and while i did state i have never whitnessed a fish that had been lifted by the gill plate dieing i did also state that i don't use this method and wouldn't recommend it. it's the slime wiping off causeing these major problems and the whole lifting by the head claims as well that i find to be quite comical. until i see a study and the results i still think it's a joke. especially when i have seen countless steelhead jump straight into dams and rocks while migrating and come back to try another jump.

btw why is it ok to handle a bass by the jaw or head area and not a steelhead?

10. Wow you are a bunch of good dudes hopefully one day we can get toghether and catch some crome thank's all

11. corndawg

corndawg Go Bulldogs!!!

I’m by no means an expert but IMO I have to agree with meisterics on handling steelhead that will be released. Stay away from the gills, keep the fish in water as much as possible and use hemos to pull the hook out. If the hook is buried cut the line and if you do need to take the fish out of water support it by holding the tail and under the area right behind the head but in front of the belly. Steelhead will recover and last longer out of cold water then they will out of warm water and lastly please don’t cull fish. As a side note yes they are, in a nut shell, a put and take fishery but unlike the put n take rainbows in area lakes, a properly released steelhead will return. Just because they're stocked is no reason to handel them any different when releasing than you would a Musky or any other sport fish. Just my .02

An artical by Darcy Eagen. Click on Articals on the left side. look for "Anglers on the hook for safe trout release"

http://www.ohiosteelheaders.com/

Here is another good read although I don't agree with the stringer thing. Other than putting the stringer through the membrane below the jaw your still messing with the gills.

http://www.steelheadguide.com/Catch_and_Release.htm

12. I thinks its gonna be tough to find a "true" answer to the question. I think we will have excellent opinions on the subject though. I personally like to tail them and support the fish with the other hand. Now that only works when fishing with a friend. Hook removing is tough alone. If alone, a soft mesh knotless net or bringing the fish into shallow water is what I do. Is it right, probably not. I always revive the fish till its ready to go too.
    Now the trout I catch most often are easy, get em close, wet the hand and grab em in one hand gently, remove hook and set free. Most are under 14 inches.

Duckdude....you gotta catch em to even worry about landing anyway man. J/K

13. Personally, I try not to remove large fish from the water very often. I'll beach them on occasion, but I try to tail them, then remove the hook with hemostats or needle nose.

14. look who the cat drug in from the dirty south! :D good to see ya still around man! had some excellent success on one of our favorite rivers that used to be at our back doors. never saw a soul which made it that much better. you going to be in town anytime soon? duck season is over and i am ready to play with some steel once conditions make it a little more worth the drive.

we had some killer trips to the canadian side of LE last summer too. whole different lake over there!

15. Congrats guys! A CIVIL debate on proper methods of handling fish...

I knew you had it in you! Helping to educate folks in common sense ways to release fish goes a lot farther here than personal attacks.

Thanks to you all for raising the bar here in the Steelhead section. As President of OGF, it is absolutely refreshing!:D

16. I agree with Duckdude that these fish are much hardier than everyone gives them credit. Steelhead have this reputation as being such fragile fish so physically frail that they can easily be mortaly wounded by handling from anglers. I'd say quite the contrary. In my experience with these fish I'd say that physically these fish are as tough and resistant to injury as any other fresh water species. Their bodies were built to withstand all the punishment they endure as they make their spawning run where they must swim through water only inches deep at times scraping their bellies against the jagged riverbeds, and jump onto and over fords and other obstacles. I believe that these fish get the reputation of being so frail due to the fact that they often fight to the point of absolute exhaustion, which then puts their lives in jeopardy.

When you catch a fish that fights to the point of exhaustion you must take extra time and care to properly revive the fish if it is to survive. I have heard that it is not good to move the fish back and forth in the water rapidly, as the water can hurt the fish's gills when the fish is un-naturally pulled backwards. When in flowing water it would probably be best to hold the fish still just above the tail with it's head facing into the current to allow oxygen to be passed over the fish's gills by the current. If over time the fish does not fully revive than you'll have to put it on a stringer. When stringing up a fish, never go through the gills but rather just poke through the membrane in the bottom of their mouths.

As for landing fish, I try to only half beach them then quickly move in behind the fish with my feet or will kneel down to keep the fish from flopping all the way back into the water. If I'm taking a photo I quicky position the fish and cradle it with both hands if I have to move it. If not taking a photo I try not to even touch the fish, just remove hook with hemostat and let the fish slip back into the water. This time of year the fish usually swim away quckly, but in warmer water they may need some reviving.

17. Good point! I would think that if this is so harmful to steelhead than it couldn't be good for any other species of fish, yet that's how all the pros land and handle bass. :confused:

18. Fishaholic69

Fishaholic69 Fly Fishing Addict

game its all good man noone knows it all right away. thats why this forum and others are here not to hate on people like some do but to point out what you do wrong so you do it right next time. I would be proud of what you got. I am skunked on steelies on a fly and admire the pic and wish I caught one as nice as yours. at least you let it go to be caught another day. don't listen to that guy he only posted 20 times. good luck and catch more fish. try to learn fly fishing if ya get a chance its a great sport! we are not elitest like some say. just ask me anything and I will help you or point you to the right place.

19. gsteel

gsteel Banned

Fishaholic that guy you speak of whose name I will not mention did do a good thing. Believe it or not. He brought up a point that neaded to get addressed. He may not have actually given any info but he sparked up alot of others to. Basically this entire thread is because of him and there is some very good info in here for somebody who just started out and for those who just simpily dont know. So you really have to look at the big picture here and dont hate on the guy for being the way he is, honestly I think he did a good job plus I dont think I ever laughed as hard as I did reading some of his stuff. I am going to put him on my buddy list, hope he will do the same.

20. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh Senior Member

Gsteel im with you. He had a weird way of getting us talking but the end result was the same. Its good to see everyone helping out "Game". OGF can be a very helpful resource to us all.
    Im no expert on steel and I learn something every time Im on the site.