Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small 12 ft aluminum jon boat and live in the cleveland area and I am looking for any good areas that anyone knows to go try to catch some cats or whatever swims really. I usually fish alone bc all of my friends are loosers. I tend to fish the metro parks, hinckley, spencer, and I want to check out findlay but havent made it yet. I would apreciate any good advice yall have to offer. thanks.

·
KrappieKat
35 Posts
I don't fish for catfish anymore but catch so many that become a pest. Berlin has always produced plenty and huge catfish just about everytime I fish it, and just about everywhere I fish it, shore, boat, doesn't matter.

My only other advise to give would be to lose (or at least distance) your loser friends :) :} Good Luck!

·
Registered
223 Posts
legend has it mosquito has some lunkers in there...also my old man caught a 15 lb channel 12 miles out on a walleye charter once in erie...no lie....got it on one of the 5 inch bombers they were trolling...i think mosquito is a solid bet for cats tho.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Northeast Ohio is full of good catfishing. Almost every state ran body of water is routinely stocked with Channel catfish. For what I think are the best places, check out the NEOCATS tournament schedule. All of these places have produced good fish. If you ever want to get together and fish, drop me a line. I know a couple of good spots.

·
Registered
15 Posts
the north side of spencer has a ton of cats no monsters that i have seen but good eaters.why your down there you might want to camp at finley and split your time between the two. skeeter is loaded with some lunkers. my buddy and i always catch them while trolling crankbaits for eyes.biggest last year was 14lbs. and my friend has caught 2 over 30lbs..have never targeted them there before but we caught most of the cats on the north side.

·
Fishgeek
10 Posts
The best channel cat fishng I have found is off the lake Erie shore at night in July August on cut bait. I usually go early and catch a few small white bass or white perch off shore. Fire up the lanterns and cut those white bass in half. Leave the guts hanging out and cast a slip sinker rig off shore. I,ve caught many cats in the 12-18 lb range doing this. Years ago the lake was eating peoples back yards at an alarming rate. Many people allowed shoreline dumping of large concrete pieces to stop erosion. These are now catfish homes.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The best channel cat fishng I have found is off the lake Erie shore at night in July August on cut bait. I usually go early and catch a few small white bass or white perch off shore. Fire up the lanterns and cut those white bass in half. Leave the guts hanging out and cast a slip sinker rig off shore. I,ve caught many cats in the 12-18 lb range doing this. Years ago the lake was eating peoples back yards at an alarming rate. Many people allowed shoreline dumping of large concrete pieces to stop erosion. These are now catfish homes.

You think I would be safe out in erie in a 12ft jon though. shes not a very deep running boat

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Personally, I would not hit Erie in a flat bottom jon boat. There are too many yahoos running around in 25'+ boats throwing off some big wakes. If you really want to fish Erie cats, do it from shore or stick with areas with no wake...like inside marinas, rivers, backwater areas etc.

I would stick with the inland lakes with that boat. Lots of good fishing.

Be safe out there. Good luck.
Bob

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
You might also consider exploring Ohio's rivers, especially in northeastern Ohio. You'll be amazed at how little pressure they get and how little competition you'll have for the good spots if you get off the beaten path a bit.

Its an adventure in itself; the cats will sometimes bite all day if you drift cut bait through the deeper spots and even the shallower spots at times.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts