close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any golf course fishing stories out there?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bronzebackyac, Jun 20, 2005.

1. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

I got the opportunity to fish a local golf course the other night just before dark. I had my six ft rod with fresh 8lb ironsilk line on it. I have heard stories for years about the monster fish in the lakes there. So I already had a buzz bait tied on so I gave it a try and all I caught was grass and weeds so I decided to go weedless. I tied on a Zoom lizard in pumpkin and chart tail with a 3/0 gammy hook. My first cast I caught a nice LMB maybe 16 inches put it back and then it happens. I cast underneath a willow tree, let it drop to the bottom and I feel something pick it up. I set the hook and my drag starts to scream and then snap! I had two guys standing there with me, neither of which fish, and they both say "What was that" I said "That was a monster that now has a rubber lizard in Its' lip." It was almost dark and I did tie on another lizard, but no success. Needless to say "I'LL BE BACK" I'll keep ya posted.

2. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Snapping turtle.

I never fished any, but when I worked at the golf course I had to clean the coontail weeds out of one with a rake. Man, that sucked.

3. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

I thought about a turtle being the culprit, but I would still like to think that the new state record largemouth did it. The way that it snapped the line could have been a snapper.

4. I got a one night pass to bass fish some ponds on a large golf course in my area a loooooooong time ago. It was me and a buddy and we had to fish at night to avoid customers. We literally caught over 100 bass each that night on a variety of top water baits - only thing was they were all 8-14 inchers. My buddy also caught a 10'' channel cat and a very large white crappie 14 inches or so. It was a blast!

5. crankus_maximus

If you do catch the new state record bucket mout. TAKE A PICTURE! If you catch a snapper - TAKE A PICTURE! Have fun, above all else.

6. mrjbigfoot

mrjbigfoot Mike

When I was a teenager I used to caddy on a nice older course outside Cincinnati & they'd let us fish on Mondays while they worked on the course. I was bass fishing with a rubber worm, standing right next to a big bed of bluegills that were all up on the nest/beds in a shallower area next to deep water, when all of the sudden, about a 30 lb+ flat head comes swooping into those bluegills with his mouth open & I'll bet he ate a dozen in one swoop. Totally freaked me out because I had no idea there were fish that big in a golf course lake or that bluegills might make good bait...LOL!!!

7. Smallie Gene

Smallie Gene Banned

Sounds like a grass carp or possibly a beaver?

8. dnm

dnm

The landings at rickenbacher (groveport) has some nice bluegill in it. I have snuck a 5' 1/2" pole in and caught some! but dont tell!!

9. I fished one a couple years back........caught bass and crappie on nearly every cast no matter what lure I used, even caught one on a lure I made!!! Saw a huge snapping turtle too. I've heard there are giant bluegill too. I might call and see if I can get permission.

10. Hooch

Hooch Fare Thee Well!

I did a commercial shoot for the owner of Foxfire golf course once a few years ago. He asked me if I golfed, and I said no, I'm a fisherman and I'd never make it through 18 holes without stopping to fish at the water hazards. He said no problem, stop by the pro shop and let them know who you are. I took him up on the offer and stopped by the pro shop. They set me up with a cart and even told me which lake to fish. So my wife and I strapped the poles in where the golf bag goes and off we go... We caught tons of stunted bass. Most were 10-12" but we had a blast! Hit almost every lure we threw. Lots of funny looks from the golfers we passed, and most asked how we were doing. I'll never forget my day at Foxfire golf course. -Hooch-

11. crankus_maximus

That's cool Hooch. SOunds like fun!