Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
out4dabig1
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 1979 z28 with 64k original miles on it, the motor was just recently rebuilt pretty much stock with a mild cam.I also got some extra camel hump heads with it 186 castings. I would like the car to go faster but not anything too radical, Just wanting some advice on where to start,if I can just bolt on the extra heads, or do I need to change the cam or what?

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Used to build smallies in a couple diff machine shops and what for the last 20years. A set of humps with 202/106 is a good start but I never seen nothin wrong with the 194/105 valves. Thought they were bolt ups just had to drill the weap holes for a 400. Wouldnt put much more than a mid-range cam in it enless you worked the heads and low end. Bolt on a vac sec Holley and look out! We used to build 700hp small blocks with all cast parts and a quadra junk:B :p Had a 80 Z-28 with a 270 rear in it. SLOW out of the hole. 10 bolt wasnt bad but not made for a high HP let alone the trans. I had Roosler put in extra clutches and went with a 370 gear.

·
out4dabig1
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This still has the old quadrajunk on it, but it has a 373 posi.I was hoping I could get a good carb and bolt those 202 heads and make a difference, but I dont know if I would be wasting my time,I dont have alot of money right now for machine work,just looking for some cheap hp.

·
Yes i slept on the couch
2,245 Posts
ditch the quadrajunk... cant go wrong with a sensibly matched holley
i dont know much about the older carburated v8's.... my old boss was a corvette junkie so i was priviledged enough to work on his fuel injected LT's and an occasional LS6 hmmm that was tasty :D so yer better off asking jig... he seems to have some nice old school know how lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts