close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any electricians out there?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by pymybob, Oct 17, 2004.

1. I have a couple of questions on some costs for some electrical work I need done for the homestead that I would like to run past someone before I begin getting quotes. Is there anyone who can help me out? You can PM if you like. Thanks!

2. what do u need to know about

3. DavidWS10

DavidWS10 Bankless Boat Trash

Bob, I might be able to help you out, too.

4. Give me a shout. I'm right around the corner.

5. answering my call for help! Here is the first dilemna.

I got a new microwave oven last year and since then I cannot run this thing without popping a fuse! I've checked the line and I believe it is on the same line as our disposal and thats it. I'm not sure were the fault could lie. If someone could give me some pointers on where I should check I would appreciate it. If not, I think I need to get an electrician in here to inspect the situation.

Now, eventually I need to re-wire my kitchen. I need to add two grounded outlets and a light above my sink. Any idea how much this should run?

Next, I need to add a new light fixture and switch to my basement as well as upgrade the wiring in the basement to three outlets and lastly to add a new outlet for a workbench. Your thoughts on this?

The last item would be adding an outlet to the exterior of my home. What do you think about this?

I know absolutely nothing about adding new lines to my box or running new wiring into existing boxes/junctions so any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to your responses!

6. 1st question- how big is your breaker box? it should say on the top breaker.
    2nd question-are there any empty spaces in the breaker box?

all you ideas are good. all of them are possible.

7. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

If your home is an older home and you have small fuse box 100amp possibly. And you are running the micro and disposal on the same line may be drawing to much current on that line. Do you have a digital camera if so take a couple pics of your breaker box for the guys. Does it pop the fuse with just the micro running or is the disposal micro and other things running at the same time. You said the oven was purchased last yr has it ran before what has changed or also been added to the kitchen since then if the problem just started.

8. DavidWS10

DavidWS10 Bankless Boat Trash

If my guess is correct, the microwave is at least a 1500 watt unit. The circuit the disposal and microwave are on is a 15 amp circuit. And I bet the micro trips the fuse/breaker by itself. There is nothing wrong with this picture, other than the circuit is too small. A 1500watt microwave will trip a 15amp circuit every time it is turned on. Ohm's Law says watts/voltage = amps (1500/120 = 12.5). A 15amp circuit is really only capable of maintaining 80% of its rated load: 80% of 15 = 12amps. The microwave is overloading the circuit. However, short of buying a smaller micro, there is no easy way of fixing this problem. A new, 20amp circuit needs to be installed just for the microwave.

9. Its a 100 amp box with I think two more slots available, I'll check and take a picture of it and post it later. The microwave and disposal are onthe same line but a coule of months ago the disposal burned out and has not been working ( I have yet to replace this too - what a laundry list I have!) The new microwave has always done this since I first plugged it into this outlet. The previous microwave I had ran with no problem on this outlet. Also, the fuse pops only when the microwave is on and nothing else running.

10. is that hard to replace or should I get an electrician? How much do you think that would run, just an estimate. Will a 20 amp circuit fit in a 15 amp circuit on my box?

11. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

As long as the wiring is sound,just switch to a 20 amp breaker.
    Less than $10 to fix it.
    Turn off the main breaker,pull the front off of the panel.
    The breakers will just snap out.
    Just follow the color code and change the wires.
    You should have one black wire,one white wire,and one uncoated ground wire.
    Just be careful to not touch the large wires coming into the main breaker.
    These remain hot even with the main switched off.

12. Antoher thing to consider here. I don't think you did mention what amp the breaker was that is currently in. I agree with what others said in that you can trade out the 15 amp up to a 20. However, if you look and find a 20 amp then I suggest you try another 20 amp in its place. Breakers can go bad and begin to trip at too low of a resistance.

13. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

if the mic. is on a 15 amp cicuit,the best solution is david's answer.
    don't just put a bigger breaker in.if it's on a 15,then most likely it's wired with #14 wire which is only rated for 15 amps.you need to run #12 wire.the reason for the breaker tripping is the surge when the mic. kicks on and off.appliances always draw more juice at start up,than when in steady use.
    it's a simple,inexpensive do-it yourself job if the mic. outlet is easily accessible.probably less than 20 bucks,depending on wire needed.just turn off all breakers,then the main,and wire the same as existing breaker.
    as for the rest of the work,it's not difficult,but probably will cost at least a couple hundred,probably more,depending on several factors,if you don't feel comfortable with doing it yourself.

14. jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj

15. for all your thoughts. I don't know if all the re-wiring would be worth just going out and getting a new microwave. Anybody need one? :D