Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my son's boat and the boat is to be delivered to the new owner tomorrow with his cash in hand. I took the title to get the transfer notarized yesterday and spelled his last name incorrectly in the "assignment of ownership" section on the back of the title.

Do I need to apply for a new title or can I change the spelling on the title?

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I sold my son's boat and the boat is to be delivered to the new owner tomorrow with his cash in hand. I took the title to get the transfer notarized yesterday and spelled his last name incorrectly in the "assignment of ownership" section on the back of the title.

Do I need to apply for a new title or can I change the spelling on the title?
That sucks....you will probably have to apply for a new one...once any corrections have been made on the title it is void. But with a signed bill of sale he I believe will have 30 days to have the new title in hand and still use the boat

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Original OGF Staff member and owner
13,432 Posts
Don't change anything. Take it to a title place and explain what you did. Do you have POA for him? If not you'll have to have him get it corrected. If you do you'll be able to get it taken care of. Depending on how bad you misspelled the name you may just be able to get it transfered with out changing a thing. If a letter is out of place or you forgot a letter in most case they let it go, BUT I have also seen them turn you away and make you get a new title. Did they notarize it for you, or did you just leave before it was notarized? If it's notarized just let the new owner have the title and he should be good to go. Worse case is you'd have to get a new one for him another day. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't change anything. Take it to a title place and explain what you did. Do you have POA for him? If not you'll have to have him get it corrected. If you do you'll be able to get it taken care of. Depending on how bad you misspelled the name you may just be able to get it transfered with out changing a thing. If a letter is out of place or you forgot a letter in most case they let it go, BUT I have also seen them turn you away and make you get a new title. Did they notarize it for you, or did you just leave before it was notarized? If it's notarized just let the new owner have the title and he should be good to go. Worse case is you'd have to get a new one for him another day. Good luck.
The last letters of his name on the title are "LO" but should be "LIS".

A notary public at my bank notarized the title with just my wife and me present, as we are both named as owners of the boat on the title.

·
Never enough time......
929 Posts
I'd just hand him the notarized title as you have it & see if it goes through........bet it will.

The title clerks now just scan the barcode on the title & it comes up in their computer with the owners name & info. They glance at the back to get the purchase price, check for a notary seal, & then fill in the purchasers info into the computer. They'll look for a sellers signature & make sure it has a notary stamp, but I doubt they'll watch the spelling, as it's already filled in for them on the screen. They aren't going to be able to read my signature except for the first letters whenever I sign one & they always go through.

(Unless it's a really old boat with a older hand typed yellow title & they gotta do everything by hand as it won't be in the system)

They're pretty much about getting the money from the taxes on the sale, the rest is just cumbersome paperwork for them & they see hundreds a day.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Did it once on a car and when the guy took it to the title dept in the county they just typed the correct spelling on the new title and that was it.Very simple mistake they probably see it hundreds of times in a year.

·
Original OGF Staff member and owner
13,432 Posts
You should be OK since it was notarized at the bank. Give him the title, and if he has an problem, which I doubt he will, you can always get a new title for him. As long as it's notarized you "should" be Ok.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts