Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I jig therefore I am!
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not seeing ANYTHING coming out of Hoover, and a bunch of spikes out of Alum. Whens the last time you've seen a 24" come out of either? Maybe guys just aren't posting? Seems like you have to goto Buckeye for a big saugeye which doesn't make a whole lot of sense considering all the pressure it gets. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
9,866 Posts
Its all about cycles. I know there stocked but so many factors go into the stock doing good. And floods play big roles to. But Therese's big fish in both. Had one weigh point this yr give up a 21 a22 and a 24 inch fish.. if u have any spots were u typicly hook bigger then the 14-16" eyes we oh so frequently catch pound those spots. Also so many of the smaller more aggressive fish makes it hard when the bite is on to put your bait infront of a bigger fish. And when its not hot(the bite) its easier to hook up on the always more agresivs smaller fish. Keep at them ben you get some better fish.

·
I jig therefore I am!
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My biggest this year on alum is 22". Maybe people just aren't posting I dunno. Not hearing hardly anything from Hoover. Been too hot the past couple weeks and doing stuff around the house, gonna be getting back after em here soon I think.. :)

·
Registered
721 Posts
We catch saugeye at Hoover every time we bass or crappie fish. The largest I believe we have gotten is 20". Lots in the 12-13" range. So that may show signs of good things to come if they grow.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Hoover is a spot not many people post about. I haven't fished it this year but been by the Dutchmen a few times and heard some good eye reports. Some were bigger fish as well. I haven't caught a "big" fish out of Alum this year so far either but the 22" I got a week ago seemed like a monster compared to the 14-15" spikes we've been catching.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I've been fishing Hoover for about 15-20 years and last year was the best year I've had in quite a few years. I got saugeye limits out of Hoover almost every time I went out. This year I've struggled a bit. Caught to a ton of 10-12 inchers so the next few years should be great assuming people aren't keepin the dinks. Biggest this year has been just under 21" and I have not been able to limit out. Been lucky to get a couple keepers per trip.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I fish Hoover and Alum for saugeye and havent had a good enough day on either to post about, this yr though Ive had more keepers from Alum. Dont worry though Ive caught so many small ones this year at Hoover they are certainly getting bigger from all the bait Ive fed em

·
I jig therefore I am!
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
93stratos and I trolled cranks from 9:00a to 5:30p and caught 15.5" and 13" saugeyes, a few smallies, crappie, a baby channel cat and snagged a carp in the butt(OW, why does that always happen!?!). Slowwwwww day. Had trolling motor troubles early and realized a fuse assembly came apart sometime last week and my batteries hadn't charged.. DOH! So most trolling was done 2.4-2.7 MPH. Still no bigguns! We may hit Hoover soon and try our luck.

Good news from the New Galena ramp I saw that the Army Corps of Engineers have placed some loaner life jackets inside the sign station by the ramp. Thought that was kinda neat. Bad news was a young lady was taking inventory and said over the weekend only one came up missing.. They are clearly marked all over with permanent marker with numbers and addresses to return them.. Sad folks couldn't have been appreciative enough to put it back!!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
What speed are you guys usually trolling at? I've found in the summer sometimes a faster troll is better anyhow... but I'm curious what your normal troll is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts